Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird stalling problem.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
My daughter's car has a problem that I can't get to the bottom of, it will often stall, but nearly always when going down a slight hill with a sweeping left hand bend. It will often happen at the same place over and over again. When it stalls you can put it in neutral while still rolling and it will start again no probem. This is quite dangerous because you lose power steering and I worry that she will have an accident and she is usually carrying a baby and young child.
There are no fault codes and we have rounded up the usuall suspect, fuel pump, fuel filter and CAS, all changed. This problem has been going on since they bought the car about six months ago.
The only thing I can think of that it could be is a loose wire that fails when pointing down a hill and veering left.
I would appreciate and opinions on what could be causing this.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
What type of car?

Random stalling often can be the following:

ECU fault or wire connection to it
Broken wire
Bad connector on the DFI unit

The issue on the 88 VN wagon ended up being the ECU when the A/C fan was called into action, the car would stall.

The wire wiggle test is a good one to do on the DFI unit.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
What type of car?

Random stalling often can be the following:

ECU fault or wire connection to it
Broken wire
Bad connector on the DFI unit

The issue on the 88 VN wagon ended up being the ECU when the A/C fan was called into action, the car would stall.

The wire wiggle test is a good one to do on the DFI unit.
Thank you for the reply, how stupid of me not to mention what type of car, it's a VT V6.
Looks like I will have to do a lot a wire wiggling and hopefully find the culprit.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
You can also try jack the car up to replicate the down and turn a little - the weight of the motor may just show you the issue

HDT4EVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 V6 VT S2 Custom HSV
Does it have any problems ideling ? It's mite just need a tune up.. Is it a auto or a manual ? I had the same problem once I was reversing my VT V6 out of the driveway and it stalled but that's because it was cold and I push it.. Some people have said to me with fuel injected cars you can start them up and drive straight away !! But I don't think Thats a good idea every morning when I start my car now I let it run for 5mins then I start driving !! I only do that cause I don't want my car stalling again..

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it have any problems ideling ? It's mite just need a tune up.. Is it a auto or a manual ? I had the same problem once I was reversing my VT V6 out of the driveway and it stalled but that's because it was cold and I push it.. Some people have said to me with fuel injected cars you can start them up and drive straight away !! But I don't think Thats a good idea every morning when I start my car now I let it run for 5mins then I start driving !! I only do that cause I don't want my car stalling again..

No problem idling , runs fine.

GAME OVER VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I had a similar problem with my VX SII, it ended up being that my fuel gauge is not reading correctly and will actually be empty when the gauge is reading distance to empty as 100km left in the tank. Very frustrating as it happened a couple of times and I was so sure it wasnt fuel as the gauge was reading that I still had some left in the tank, I have had it looked at by a mechanic and they advised me that there was nothing wrong with the sensor in the fuel tank. Neverless I dont ever let it go under 100kms and have not had the problem ever since.. might be worth a check. :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I had a similar problem with my VX SII, it ended up being that my fuel gauge is not reading correctly and will actually be empty when the gauge is reading distance to empty as 100km left in the tank. Very frustrating as it happened a couple of times and I was so sure it wasnt fuel as the gauge was reading that I still had some left in the tank, I have had it looked at by a mechanic and they advised me that there was nothing wrong with the sensor in the fuel tank. Neverless I dont ever let it go under 100kms and have not had the problem ever since.. might be worth a check. :)

You can bend the fuel gauge float arm slightly to get the fuel gauge reading more accurately. You can get the fuel gauge reading/distance to empty readings pretty much spot on doing this. These float arms for the fuel gauge inside the fuel tank, seem to get knocked from their original position pretty easily whenever a fuel pump is replaced, as the float arm is connected to the fuel pump assembly, which is removed from the tank along with the fuel pump when its repalced, and its usually very awkward to get this pump assembly in/out of the small hole in the tank.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
there was a post a couple of years ago with the exact symptoms you describe
there was a wire rubbed through near thermostat housing under plug leads from memory
OP replaced half his car until he found it

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
there was a post a couple of years ago with the exact symptoms you describe
there was a wire rubbed through near thermostat housing under plug leads from memory
OP replaced half his car until he found it

Thanks lout, I will check that out when I see them and hopefully that is the problem.