Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

welding helmets

Hemiway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
Hey guys, For the experianced welders out there. I have been tossing around the idea of getting one of these type of welding helmet because i often weld Galv amongst other meterials. problems are.
1, I do hydrogen atomic welding, which to those who don't know it, think T.I.G. on exteme steroid abuse and i don't know how the mask would work under there conditions.
The second problem is these welds can take up to 45 minutes each and i want to know how long the visior and air pump would last under this sort of use.
Any info would be helpful.

Hemiway

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Might not be suitable for where he works. It sure as hell wouldn't last 5 minutes where I work.

What sort of work is that?

Hey guys, For the experianced welders out there. I have been tossing around the idea of getting one of these type of welding helmet because i often weld Galv amongst other meterials. problems are.
1, I do hydrogen atomic welding, which to those who don't know it, think T.I.G. on exteme steroid abuse and i don't know how the mask would work under there conditions.
The second problem is these welds can take up to 45 minutes each and i want to know how long the visior and air pump would last under this sort of use.
Any info would be helpful.

Hemiway

It should be fine depending on how hot the helmet will get itself with 30 minute welds.

sicvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Executive
Have you ever used one? It keeps fumes out from alley, zinc and flux cored like they're nothing, even when you're grinding, all you smell is fresh air, best thing I've brought for my trade hands down.

Arc weld gal all day fabricating and repairing platforms for offshore personally think it's a bit over the top

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
All these helmets put the ones we get at tradeschool to shame.....

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ ute with v6 commodore motor, gbox and diff

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
I just close my eyes and blind weld, yeah dont anyone do that, I'll probably go blind in a few years. Should probably go invest in a helmet....

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
i ended up getting a wia one. It is quite good and a lot better than any helmet i have used before. I had a look around in Dubbo at all the shops before picking it. I could have got a better one but i only use it in my own shed at home so i dont need a top of the range helmet. I ended up getting it for $99 on sale before the end of financial year. It is the same as Welding Helmet Blue WIA- Brand New - Auto Darkening, Solar Assist. Lots features | eBay

Cheers Shane