Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Caprice OBD - How to?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Let us know if it read the fault codes when you get it.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Let us know if it read the fault codes when you get it.
hey matey no drama's at all.

i've got my fingers crossed. after doing a little research i have found out that a reader will read basically anything it's the software that translate's the reader's data into something we can hopefully understand.

given that the software along with the OBDII tool has J1850 PWM protocol then it should successfully read & translate any error codes etc.

From what i could tell J1850 PWM is the GM standard protocol for OBDII data.

J1850 VPW is the Ford variant.

Will let you know though ASAP. Got an airbag light on my Fairlane & an engine light on my WH Caprice.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Some cheap ebay jobs can do the reading and clear some codes too. Got a us one here i gotta try out

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Obd 1.5 is installed in the wh caprice. Obd 1.5 is a mix of obd 1 and 2. If you got obd 2 codes then the usb will work, but if you got obd 1 codes a serial data cable will work. I think obd 1 codes are codes that do not show up when you turn into ignition (only show after car started). Obd 2 codes remain on even at ignition. Just my opinion. You will need a tech 2 probably.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Sounds expensive...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Item 11 from 4L60E common problems looks like it might be what you are experiencing:

11. No 1st or 4th gear available; trans shifts 2nd to 3rd by itself in D or OD : ShiftA solenoid failed. Easy fix in the pan. Or a wiring problem from PCM to trans.. or PCM.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Item 11 from 4L60E common problems looks like it might be what you are experiencing:

11. No 1st or 4th gear available; trans shifts 2nd to 3rd by itself in D or OD : ShiftA solenoid failed. Easy fix in the pan. Or a wiring problem from PCM to trans.. or PCM.
Hey mate the guy that done the auto said same thing, shift solenoid. Apparently theres two of them, 1 on the rear left & 1 on the rear right. can you tell me which side is for the problem i am experiencing?

I am hoping its not the PCM. I've been having some issues over the past 2 months or so where the auto would be in 2nd then suddenly go back to 1st & then back to 2nd again.

Fingers crossed it's only a solenoid as i have bought one from eBay for $50 delivered.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Apparently theres two of them, 1 on the rear left & 1 on the rear right. can you tell me which side is for the problem i am experiencing?

Should be the one on the passenger (left) side. Check out the diagram below:

Attachments

• 4L60E Internal Electronic Component Locations.jpg
    4L60E Internal Electronic Component Locations.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,636

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Your a legend BlackVXGTS

cheers for your help.

Now i have to get under the car to get to it :(