Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wh Statesman LS1 Starting issue.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Hi couldn't find what I needed to know.

Anyhow my statesman has a starting issue, Sometimes it wont start first go kicks over but on the 2nd go it normally starts.
any idea what can/could cause this. Didn't have this issue on my old Vx Calais LS1 so I'm short of idea's, Thought maybe fuel pump
but then again it seems to be working and making its normal noises, Starter motor I also thought but don't think its that.

I'm just taking stabs in the dark atm.

Any idea's would be great thanks.

Jamie

ls1whstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman ls1
hi Jamie, sorry to bring up an old thread but did you or does anyone know what causes this as mine is doing the exact same thing and i'm buggered if i know what it is.
cheers
Ash

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Perhaps a faulty fuel pressure regulator.
Try turning the ignition on to let the fuel pump prime and then turn it off and then try startring it.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
I don't mean to revive an old thread but I've got a WH and am having this exact same issue but it's been a thing since i was also having cam sensor issues. I replaced it and the crank angle sensor and whilst it was starting more often I found it has slowly been more and more not starting 1st try but instantly starting 2nd attempt. I've now replaced the starter motor and spark plugs too but its still happening.

Does anyone know the right pressure i should be expecting? and a Tech2 should allow me to check that?

Then if the Fuel Pressure Regulator is the issue thats located in the fuel tank correct? I've checked and this comment in a thread seems to suggest this

H

harrop.senator

I don't mean to revive an old thread but I've got a WH and am having this exact same issue but it's been a thing since i was also having cam sensor issues. I replaced it and the crank angle sensor and whilst it was starting more often I found it has slowly been more and more not starting 1st try but instantly starting 2nd attempt. I've now replaced the starter motor and spark plugs too but its still happening.

Does anyone know the right pressure i should be expecting? and a Tech2 should allow me to check that?

Then if the Fuel Pressure Regulator is the issue thats located in the fuel tank correct? I've checked and this comment in a thread seems to suggest this

Battery ever go flat if you don't start it for a few days?

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
Battery ever go flat if you don't start it for a few days?
Battery was replaced just over year ago from memory (previous owner and has a receipt in glovebox) and it doesnt go flat after not driving it for a few days. I've had it happen multiple times in a day but I've not taken note if its been fine say if i pop into the shops for 5 minutes vs being somewhere for 1hr and then seeing if its an issue

H

harrop.senator

Battery was replaced just over year ago from memory (previous owner and has a receipt in glovebox) and it doesnt go flat after not driving it for a few days. I've had it happen multiple times in a day but I've not taken note if its been fine say if i pop into the shops for 5 minutes vs being somewhere for 1hr and then seeing if its an issue

All good my old Caprice the the Holden phone system used to drain it and had to replace the BCM. Would create strange idle characteristics and starting. Would have to lock and unlock car n go again.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try swapping the Fuel Pump relay with the High Beam relay to see if that makes a difference. You could also swap the High Beam relay with the Start relay to see if that makes any difference.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
Try swapping the Fuel Pump relay with the High Beam relay to see if that makes a difference. You could also swap the High Beam relay with the Start relay to see if that makes any difference.
I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
So just got the tech2 and checked the engine data and it doesnt seem to show fuel pressure unless its under a different name?

Checked all over the tech2 and didnt see anything that'd relate to it