Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are the small diameter hoses running into the plenum chamber on a VS?

norlesh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 litre Automatic Station Wagon
Hi all, have almost completed an engine swap - everything is bolted back in but since it took me so long I have forgotten what was what with all the small diameter hoses:

On the plenum chamber there are three hose/tube fittings pointing towards the back.
Between the plenum chamber and throttle body there is another tube fitting that points up.

What do these connect to?

Also there is a black plastic dohicky that is bolted towards the top rear of the engine that has a couple of small diameter hose nozzles and is connected to the wiring loom with a red connector - one of its hoses (long black plastic with heat insulation on the part that threads underneath the plenum) goes to the black cylinder mounted to the left of the radiator and am not sure where the second hose is meant to go... Would really appreciate if someone can tell me what the dohicky and the black cylinder are :)

Thanks - Shane

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
ok on the back of my plennum i have 1 big two small, 1 small for your fuel reg. one small goes to a line that runs along my fire wall, and a finger size one.

I can get pics if you like

Also pics of this thing youre identifing would be great,

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
On the plenum chamber there are three hose/tube fittings pointing towards the back.

At the back of the plenum, the large hose goes to your brake booster, the medium one goes to the fuel regulator and the smallest one goes to a fitting on the firewall right behind the plenum, just as adam mentioned.

Between the plenum chamber and throttle body there is another tube fitting that points up.

Between the plenum chamber and throttle body there are 2 hose fittings, they are both on the throttle body itself, one points down and the other to the front. The one pointing down is the one I believe you're referring to, and has a hose that goes to the canister purge solenoid, which is the black plastic thing with the red wiring connector you were also referring to at the end of your post.

The black cylinder is also known as the charcoal canister, which stores fuel vapours.

norlesh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awsome - thanks heaps gentlemen! That solves everything - as for the hose pointing up on the throttle body that seems to be a modification as there are three on there - the two KrisG mentioned plus the additional one drilled and tapped into the top which now I have checked is not on the throttle body from my dead engine - will just plug it up for now.

norlesh

Reaction score
Members Ride
So plugged in the extra hoses and success!!!! New engine runs (at first thought I had botched it but had just forgotten to re tighten the harmonic balancer so the crank pos sensor could detect the notches) - my first engine swap :) . Now I just need to tidy up :(