Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Auto Trans Model in a VP Senator

Sokoza

Beep Beep
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP GTS
Apparently when a car is not in use the auto trans should be overfilled with oil to make sure all components and bands are covered in oil. Just somthing I've heard. But saying that it was working only 7 months prior.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What happens if you put it in first and then shift it to 2nd and 3rd as the as the road speed increases? You might want to try it with a decent amount of throttle so it gets plenty of line pressure.

It sounds like something is stuck in the valve body or seals have hardened from lack of use. If it doesn't rectify itself it will need to be stripped and inspected.

redvpsenator

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator & VS Ute
Cheers Kiwi, As in the first post I ran it to 4,000 RPM and shifter to second =no change. Same for the other gears.
Then started again ran to 3,500 lifted off the foot, shifted to neutral then back to 2nd and it picked up second.
Even at lower RPM if you shift to N then back to 2 it will engage 2nd gear.
Regards

Janesey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pac
if you do end up needing work done to it take it to fluidrive if theres one up there? ive taken my vn (which now has no front end :upyours:) and a mates chevy silverado, they rebuilt the chevs tranny with carbon fibre bands and all the works cant remember everything, basically turned it into a truck tranny anyway its a really strong box now, thought the torque converter was gone in my vn, rang them up and got it ordered, dropped the car off, straight onto the hoist he took the box out opened it up checked everything out did a heap of **** i never asked for and didnt even end up using the torque converter he ordered. just let me go free of charge. dunno whether its all of fluidrive that is that good or whether its just jay and the team at fluidrive bendigo. anyone around this area should definitely go there for any tranny work.

redvpsenator yours would be kickdown cable yeah? have you tried adjusting that at all?

redvpsenator

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator & VS Ute

Hi, I dropped the tranny pan and there was no metal in the bottom of the pan. These GM tranny's usually have a fair bit of metal shavings.There was some gunk around the pan magnet as the pic shows. Some of the particles in the pan are calk from the gasket. Rieistall and refill then test drive.
Stop start with steady acceleration 1st changes to 2nd at 4,000RPM
2Nd changes to third at 4,500 first drive
second try 2nd changes to 3rd 4,800 RPM
Tranny does not change any differeent using 1 to 2 to D manualy shifting shifter.
Tranny picks up first gear and reverse instantaniously.
Any ideas,
cheers Gaz

redvpsenator

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator & VS Ute
Kick down cable looks the same, no adjustment shifting of cable evident evident. Also removed torque converter inspection plate and it is as new, no oil or any other rubbish/dust dirt or rust or such in there.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Stop start with steady acceleration 1st changes to 2nd at 4,000RPM
2Nd changes to third at 4,500 first drive
second try, 2nd changes to 3rd 4,800 RPM
Tranny does not change any differeent using 1 to 2 to D manualy shifting shifter.
Tranny picks up first gear and reverse instantaniously.
Any ideas,
cheers Gaz

Maybe try to back-off the kick-back a little, ei: one or two clicks. (Yep.. I did say a few posts ago to adjust it, now I'm suggesting to back it off :) )

When I put Corvette Servos in my the VN it would rev to 3,000rpm under light throttle before shift into the next gear. I adjusted the kick-back cable as per specs but backed the adjuster of one click so it wouldn't 'hang' onto 1st and 2nd. Some trial and error involved but it worked a treat but you can't back it off too much as the trans will start to slip between gears.

Last edited: