Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What base ignition timing are you running?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I Second that ^^^^. Several people I know that have had the Greenfoam wand are very very happy. If I'm lucky and hit the jack pot one day - He will be remembered.

So if I have a base timing of 10 degrees and +6 in the tune - I can say I have a rocket.

PS the V8 is in it's element on the open road. A fully loaded VN sedan (just able to close boot) with 5 large people + a dog & hand bags for the girls the car would over take with ease. Mid range power is just on tap as much as you would ever need for country driving and stay within the speed limits. I say leave the VZ at home & take the VN, take the VN:D

Thanks Greenfoam for you research, time and effort.:thumbsup:

xx5047

Reaction score
Members Ride
vrss11
15degrees at idle on 91 ron fuel

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
curve ball

I am assuming we are talking about base timing here. DO NOT assume the timing marks on your ballancer are correct. The outer hub that has the marks on it is held in place by a rubber ring on the inner hub over time THEY MOVE.

I have gotten into the habit of putting a positive stop in #1 spark plug hole and carefully turning the motor over by hand till the piston is just against it, mark the ballancer, turn it back all the way till it is against it and mark again. The point in the exact centre of the two marks you just made is true TDC #1.

TAKE THE STOP OUT and put the plug back in. I have had 186 202 3.3 etc and a few 253 308 & 5L ballancers out by as much as 30 degrees. Had a couple of 3.3 ballancers spit the outer hub right off last season racing too. When i have confirmed the marks are true i mark a line across the face of the ballancer (both inner and outer hub) so i can tell at a glance if the hub has moved at all for future tuning.