Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What brake boosters fit a VK?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
I've done a bit of a search but couldn't find a definitive answer?

What brake boosters will fit a VK commodore? (with an EFI 6 if it matters)

I've got one off a VR and the body of it is about an inch deeper than the VK one.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Anything up to VS commodore is a direct swap, VT and later require modification.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
How does that work if the one that I pulled out of a VR is a different size? The master cylinder will end up being about an inch forward in the engine bay and I'll have to modify the bracket for it.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The firewall side is the same, so bolts directly to the firewall and pedal, just make up a new front bracket or get one off a V8 commodore.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
Ah, cool. Thanks for that. I might be able to get away with just drilling new holes in the bracket.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
I forced it in there. The master cylinder is just touching the bolts for the bracket, I'll take to the bolt with the angle grinder and give it a bit of space.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
Cutting about 5mm off the bolt seems to have made it fit. Now to get some petrol and see if it has fixed the lack of brakes problem.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
Hrmmm, it appears that it isn't working properly. Someone has suggested that the plungers might be different lengths.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
There's a forum i read ages ago somewhere about using newer model boosters and master cylinders on early commodores.
From memory here's basically what the popular mod to do is:
Use a VS plastic booster (bolts to firewall same as early but is bigger diameter and may not clear rocker covers if you have an early v8, will fit vn headed rockers if you have the vn top end)
you need to cut down the push rod 5mm into master cylinder.
Master cylinder's that fit VS booster is VS and VT types only. You want the VT 1-1/4" large bore quick fill master cylinder (this combo is a must for using big brakes on early commodore, without this mod you wont have the pedal feel or master cylinder strength to operate big calipers)
Pedal rod needs to be cut down and a new locating pin hole drilled.
I can't remember the measurements off hand but it's something you can do by dummy fitting and measuring anyhow.
$60 gets you 3 brass fittings to fit your brake lines to the new master cylinder (vs vt use different pipe flare to early vb-vl)

Back to the VR booster you're using, I'm pretty sure you still have to trim down the pushrod into the master cylinder and also shorten the pedal rod same as using VS booster.

On one hand with the VR booster you can use your old 1" master (not much of an improvement of braking performance or pedal feel)
On the other, if you use VS booster which will fit the VT master cylinder you'll need to spend more to get it all done but it'll be worth it as it paves the way to handle big brakes later down the track.
You can use a vt booster but you'll need to make your own bracket to fit it to the firewall and still shorten your pedal rod.

I'll keep hunting to try and find the original thread i learn't all this from

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
Thanks for that drew. It's just a six so clearance isn't a problem. Also, it's a 15/16" master.

I'll have to measure it all a bit more accurately.