Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Coolant is Cool?

VSStatus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice Series 3
Hi guys,
well the old VS Caprice and HJ ute (would love to have been able to keep them:boohoo:)have been replaced by a VZ SS Crewman Thunder.
Gotta say pretty happy with it.
I am wanting to top up the coolant but am unsure as to what to put in?
I have used genuine holden coolant before in the VS but it was a bit of a drag having to go to metro and then also mix it with demin.Call me lazy.
I changed to Tectalloy 90 plus in there with no issues i could tell.
Now i have heard that an engine will instantly disintergrate and the world will start to spin backwards if different coolants are mixed together.
What are your thoughts on this?
What coolant do you use?
Kind regards and many thanks in advance,
Shane.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I stick to the genuine Holden stuff. Your car will run the red type GM coolant, can't remember the part number.
BTW you should not mix dissimilar coolants.

VSStatus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice Series 3
Thanks for that mate.
Hehe.I havent even taken the cap off to check colour but even though a bit of a hassle will
stick with the genuine stuff I guess.
Is it a mix yourself thing?
Cheers.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You need the red coolant.

Proper flush is always recommended

Green coolant is for iron blocks (V6) an red is for alloy blocks (V8)
Apparently the green corodes the alloy

I just read up and its what is recommended, and so why install something that isnt.

Quote form Nulon
Red Long Life Concentrated Coolant- Nulon Australia

Applications:
Nulon RLLTU is recommended for use in all vehicles that use a red or orange coloured coolant. Nulon RLLTU is principally designed for use where OAT coolant is required. Use RLLTU where AS/NZS 2108.1:2004 Type A, GM6277M or Toyota TSK2601G specifications are cited. Use in all cooling systems as a replacement for any red/orange coloured coolant. Among specific makes of vehicles that use red/orange coolant are Ford Falcon EA - EF, Holden Gen 3 & Gen 4 V8's and Alloytech V6, all Toyota models, Audi (some models), VW (some models), Jeep (most models), Chrysler (most new imports have red), Isuzu trucks, Daihatsu cars and trucks and Caterpillar

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
oh not this dusscusion again as long as you flush everything it dosent matter what ####in colour,,, ITS type A for commodores not type B

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6 with statesman/caprice front end.
Red is generally for alloy and green for cast... But I would use genuine because the new bt50 and ranger use a red coolant and they have a cast block. So use genuine.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Lol not the colour myth again. It's the ingredients. Stick to propylene glycol. If you're unsure, flush and top up with the one brand.

VSStatus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice Series 3
Cheers guys.
yep coolant is red in there.Will get some Holden concentrate and mix up a batch with demin.
Cant go wrong then I guess
Thanks.

VSStatus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice Series 3
Also from what I have read it is best to do a complete flush and fill with one brand?
Just topping up with either nulon red or Holden genuine may be an issue if i dont know what is in there?
Cheers.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Mine had Genuine Holden red coolant in it, then I had to change my radiator -filled it up the remainder with the Nulon Red Long Life. Just make sure the red Nulon you get has the GM6277M compatible listed on the back as that's what works in a Holden. If you put a lot of coolant bleed the system too.