Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think bout my combo?

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
284 crane cam 222 @ 0.50, 0.460 gross lift @ 0.50.
Speedpro valve spring, lifters, retainers, cam gear ect.

STARR intake manifold (90mm TB flows 1200cfm)
BOSCH blue top injectors
HALTECH E6X custom dyno edit and dyno tune.

Tell me what you guys think?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Untitled Document
one of those and a have your compression raised to ateast 9.5:1 and it will be making good power... i had that same cam before i stroked my motor, was running at 9.2:1 compresson ratio and it made ok power with the stock manifold, but needed to be higher to have any benefit and really noticeable power gain... larger valves and a bit of headwork should see good gains with that cam tho

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355

BOSCH blue top injectors

sounds good m8 what ratio diff are you running something 3.5 onwards will benifit alot you alot with this combo. Some transmission work eg A shift kit,bigger stall,boost valve and corvette servo piston are great mods for the th700

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Depends if you ahve bought all the stuff or not? :) If you have I'll tell you it's ok, if not you could do much better :)

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewownsavp

BOSCH blue top injectors

sounds good m8 what ratio diff are you running something 3.5 onwards will benifit alot you alot with this combo. Some transmission work eg A shift kit,bigger stall,boost valve and corvette servo piston are great mods for the th700

Hey mate thanks for reply just got hsv diff gears and its a manual.

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
Depends if you ahve bought all the stuff or not? :) If you have I'll tell you it's ok, if not you could do much better :)

Hey mate thanks for replying i like to read what you got to say foamy.
All ive brought is the manifold so far the bloke doing the job is getting rest of the list by request say what you reckon though.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Depends what other mods you are planning to do.....If you are going to raise the compression to about 9.5:1-10:1 then i would be inclined to go with the 286! However, the 284 will be sweet with 9.5:1 compression. The 286 would also require the heads to have a bit of a tickle to get the best out of it!

If you hadn't already bought the manifold then i would agree with Peanuts inc. and said go with the TP dual plane. Much better manifold than the Starr....

Don't buy a Haltech, stick with the Delco and have that retuned. Pointless waist of money, when you already have an ECU that is more than capable of doing the job!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah that about what I was going to say^^^^^^^. The Starr manifold still has all the problems of the original banana. I would have said a split duration non Crane cam (they dont make split cams for the VN-S). Definatly forget the haltec, the stock ecu is better and a 284 is a very easy cam to tune (idles like stock). There is one good point about the Starr is that it appears stock and that can come in handy

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
Yeah that about what I was going to say^^^^^^^. The Starr manifold still has all the problems of the original banana. I would have said a split duration non Crane cam (they dont make split cams for the VN-S). Definatly forget the haltec, the stock ecu is better and a 284 is a very easy cam to tune (idles like stock). There is one good point about the Starr is that it appears stock and that can come in handy

Ah yeah I wanted the Starr for stock apperance want to keep the SS in stealth mode completely stock looking.
I've taken alot of time to choose the tunning side of things and not many from where i am use the delco only other options were chiptorque and yeah.
Lot of other issuses why Im using a haltech but im setting up slowly for 355 one day when it needs a rebuild with 10.1 comp ect ill have computer and manifold there already which are most exspensive things.

Although ive spoken to few people with the STARR manifold and said its not a bad thing and it flows good and run them on high 12 low 11 5ltrs and 355s so must be ok.

Also foamy what will i loose from the stock computer when i change to the haltech.

Im hoping to get around 300rwhp ive seen cammed and manifolded with the starr in manual 5ltr with slicks going 12.8 at the drags from here dont know what tune and stuff but yeah few blokes reckon 300rwhp is really possible.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
So, are you upping the comp at the same time?? 300rwhp on stock comp is never going to happen.....Even with 9.5:1 comp, i would think the 284 would be really struggling to make that sort of power!

However, on a happy dyno i guess anything is possible....The MPH at the drags will tell the story though.

I would still recommend to stear clear of the Haltech, but it sounds asthough you have made up your mind! As for what will you lose going from the Delco to the haltech, you will lose a really good ECU for a POS....