Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What fuel to use in my VX SS V8?

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
What fuel do you guys use in your SS V8's, I do not want power I want economy $$ on a long trip, does the E-Gen 10% ethanol run OK in a V8, seeing it is 95 octane versus 92 octane for Unleaded. Need to know ASAP please. First time long run for my new ride since buying it.
Peter

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
What fuel do you guys use in your SS V8's, I do not want power I want economy $$ on a long trip, does the E-Gen 10% ethanol run OK in a V8, seeing it is 95 octane versus 92 octane for Unleaded. Need to know ASAP please. First time long run for my new ride since buying it.
Peter

Hey Mate

I would be using BP ULTIMATE or any 98 octane fuel, i use BP ULTIMATE in my VY S V6 and on long trips i always get alot better fuel economy, even in town i get better, and its better for the environment and the engine..

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
Thanks Holdenman7, I will go top her up and do the maths when I reach Newcastle.
ozengines

ESS364

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I ran ULP in my VX SS for 100,000 K's....no problem Tried PULP for a few weeks just after I bought it and it didn't seem to make any tangible difference to mileage. Other guys have said the same.

So long as it doesn't ping, I don't see why I should spend the extra.

I now have a VE SS and running it on ULP also. Will try both to see if there is any difference. Maybe others have some more experience in both.

s1nge

Reaction score
go the 95 octane, premium runs better for economy + power

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Iv only ran BP 98 in mine and the car sounds so much quieter and is smoother. also my economy is great 10L/100km.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
A friend uses E10 in his VX SS, goes a lot better but the fuel economy is low. I found BP Ultimate is the best fuel out there, not so much for power, but economy and smoothness. Since the old buick engine is rough, you can feel the difference.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Since the old buick engine is rough, you can feel the difference.

I totally agree, I can defiantly feel the difference between standard unleaded and BP Ultimate in my VR.

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
Ive never noticed any difference and thats towing with the various fuels.

I only put in premium now every now and then to give my car a bit of a treat but economy wise it never changed a thing.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ive never noticed any difference and thats towing with the various fuels.

I only put in premium now every now and then to give my car a bit of a treat but economy wise it never changed a thing.

I'm with you, I also can't see any difference in power or economy. I've heard on this forum that the car has to become used the premium over a period of time, several tanks full, but I don't know how much truth there is in that. Maybe that's my problem, I only put premium in occasionally.