Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is going on?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I know some people hate the sport but I grew up with it,

WTF is happening to V8 Supercars?

Ive been looking forward to this year, and hitting the track In Jan has fuelled that even further.

So why have they killed it? I got on just then to check the practice times to find the practice AND top 10 have all been completed, and to make it worse, 2 cars have been "disqualified for kerb hopping".

Magically Team Vodafone now have positions 1 and 2, while poor frosty and lee holdsworth are penalised???

And I dont get it because doesnt this now mean even if Lee or Frosty were to win tomorrow, they still start back in the grid because of the new rules about qualifying position ??

Im losing the plot. I acctually enjoyed watching the top 10 shootout LIVE, now its done on a Friday before I even leave work? And if TV history is anything to go by they wont show the entire thing anyway, heres some highlights of qualifying, heres some short snippets of top 10.

I agree the entire qualifying gets a bit boring but the Top 10 is interesting because its one car, one flying lap.

Feel free to flame away and tell me how production cars are better etc, its a debate Im not interested in because yes I enjoy the production cars too (like Bathurst 12 hour a few weeks ago), but I wanted to vent my frustrations.

Bring back the sport from 10 years ago, it seemed to be just right. Commodores still had Commodore suspension, windows and panels were real ... straight from the Holden warehouse not perspex and fibreglass.

I realise alot on the VT era of car was still different to the road car but the cars themselves still had some relevance to the road car, well more then they do today anyway, and the sport wasnt as politically incorrect. You could race, rub panels without being penalised, and it was the race, not the qualifying that won the race.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Im losing the plot. I acctually enjoyed watching the top 10 shootout LIVE, now its done on a Friday before I even leave work? And if TV history is anything to go by they wont show the entire thing anyway, heres some highlights of qualifying, heres some short snippets of top 10.

Unless I am wrong, clipsal qualifying has always been done on a friday with the first 250km race on Saturday.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
maybe im just over worked and overtired then :p

I dunno I think im losing the plot :bang:

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
i think frosty was rightfully penalised though, he kirb hopped bad it was definently an illegal moneuver no doubt about it, i didnt see holdworth but i agree with u about the sport, they need to try and bring the cars back to their manufacteur counter-parts a bit more, i just find like the battle of Ford vs Holden has pretty much died, and did anyone see the ceremony thing at the end with 1st,2nd,3rd...that was the worst croud reception ive ever seen, barely claps and cheers for the drivers at all, its dissapointing, it seems its really not what it used to be, top 10 shootout is my favourite part but the rest just doesnt involve me as much..

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Yeah the ceremony was pretty poor... almost awkward.

I felt sorry for Lownes... 10 laps to go shattered...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I tried to watch it, was about as exciting as watching a sloth race.

I think I counted 1 passing move in the 30 minutes I watched it. Sorry but the event has been slaughtered. Production cup FTW!!

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Just get the Brutes on there, much more going on.

DENDTS

speedhunter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS series II
I tried to watch it, was about as exciting as watching a sloth race.

I think I counted 1 passing move in the 30 minutes I watched it. Sorry but the event has been slaughtered. Production cup FTW!!

the gt cup races on the weekend was some of the best racing i've seen in a long time

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
and did anyone see the ceremony thing at the end with 1st,2nd,3rd...that was the worst croud reception ive ever seen, barely claps and cheers for the drivers at all,

I think you will find that is a result of the podium finish for each race they have now brought in. As there were still support races to go after the main race one on saturday the crowd would have been a bit thin. Sunday was obviously far different from what everyone saw the day before....