Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the difference between 6 and 6.5 speakers

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
16.03.16 - Can someone tell me what is the difference between 6 and 6.5 speakers, I've YouTubed the subject and nothing comes up.
Next Thursday we're having a single din Apline 153 installed and I was going to leave the original speakers in but have decided to replace the fronts, (the dogs don't need new speakers in the rear).
I have found her in JC that when fitting the 6.5's a spacer is required but I stiil not know what the difference is other than inches.
I'm thinking 6 is 6 inches and 6.5 is 6.5 inches wide and other than inches is there a difference in the output quality.
I know nothing about stereos and speakers but I do know I like the basic units.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
the only difference is size.

Quality comes down to what you pay for.

in a VX you need 6.5" splits in the front

6.5s will bolt straight up in the front unless you buy something with a massive magnet.

Get some kicker 6.5 splits there about $150-$180 and pretty good.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
6.5 is what ya need.

Kickers are good as mentioned, so are Clarion but comes down to quality, db sensitivity and frequency range

Shoot me, but the factory speakers arent that bad.

Think the front already have spacers

Last edited by a moderator:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
After fitting the new Alpine 163 the sound quality using the original Commodore speakers is just amazing so no new speakers required.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Well done you.

I thought the factory speakers were rubbish in mine so replaced the 4x door speakers when I did the HU. The factory stereo really is a 'budget' item. I had to do something when Dad came to visit and his factory Honda Jazz sounded better than my factory install.....and Dad can't even work out how to use his besides how to turn it on !!