Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is this under my dash? Carkit???

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Obdii does have a standard connector. Obdi did not. Obdii was made compulsory in 1996 in the US. Later in Australia. Because it was standard in all Japanese cars around the same time it appeared here in Australia long before OT was compulsory..... which I think was about 2001.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
OBD, or On-Board Diagnostics is a system that allows for analysis of conditions with engine management and
maintenance in motor vehicles. A connector is fitted to the vehicle allowing, a compatible diagnostic instrument
or laptop computer to interface with the vehicle’s electronics.

The first version was OBD, or OBD I. Vehicles manufactured later than 1996 are fitted with OBD II connectors.

The connector.

There is no international standard connector for OBD II. Australian vehicles use a 16-pin connector with a unique pin configuration:

Where is the connector located?

The connector must be located within one metre of the driver and must not require any tools to be revealed.
Look under the dash and behind ashtrays and other accessory panels to find your ODB II connector.
Copied and pasted? lol. ^^^

Last edited:

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Could anyone suggest a good type of scan tool unit to buy to suit VZ V6 mainly from ebay, overseas or here, that will read codes and or allow some adjustments, I am an older mechanic and did my time at GMH, but left at the end of VL's so am learning all the newer stuff, give me points and a carby and I know what I am doing.
I know some types of scan tools you need to buy some credit? or something to unlock certain features, sorry to hijack thread but it got me thinking.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
quote: "give me points and a carby ..."
- days long gone !

another quote: "Could anyone suggest a good type of scan tool unit to buy to suit [a VE] ..."
I'd be interested in this as well !

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If you have an android phone get the "torque" app and any elm327 adaptor off eBay, there only like $15.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
If you have an android phone get the "torque" app and any elm327 adaptor off eBay, there only like $15.

This is the best way to go. I love mine. Being able to display a graph of O2 sensor waveforms in real time with short term and long term fuel trims just above is really cool and useful. I also have a screen for coolant temp, intake temp, map, maf, ignition timing, knock retard, etc etc. VZ V6 will support this out of the box.

I could never go back to carbys and dizzys :D

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Thanks for the info, I bought one of these Auto CAR V1 5 ELM327 OBD2 Odbii Bluetooth CAN BUS Scanner Tool Torque Android | eBay
and tried the free andriod torque app, but will buy it as seems more userable than the free version.

cheers again, I just came back from a trip out to Moree and Lightning Ridge in 41c temp at 115kph and the car ran fine except a slight coolant leak at the top bleed o ring fixed that and drove back home, car now has 319,500kms and still going strong.