Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is up with Asian Airlines?

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Australian pilots are required to have a minimum of 1500 hours in command before being excepted by the major airlines here. Australian pilots build up most of these hours by bush flying in the outback and working as flight instructors.
Many of the asian airlines except pilots with only a minimum of 200 hours flying time and put them straight into the right hand (copilots) seat of aircraft like airbus a320 and boeing 737 after initial ground training on type.
Nothing beats the experience of Australian trained pilots.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
By hard you mean fluffing expensive. Once I had kids that was it for me. Now it's just FSX and X-Plane, lol.

Australian pilots are required to have a minimum of 1500 hours in command before being excepted by the major airlines here. Australian pilots build up most of these hours by bush flying in the outback and working as flight instructors.
Many of the asian airlines except pilots with only a minimum of 200 hours flying time and put them straight into the right hand (copilots) seat of aircraft like airbus a320 and boeing 737 after initial ground training on type.

True but I'm pretty sure I read these guys had thousands of hours between them.

What I don't get is why they fluffed around with the engine at all when they were barely on their climb. Ideally you'd want to cut and feather the bastard but I'd be looking at getting into a stable flight first. A single ATR Pratt and Whitney could deal with pulling the aircraft and the dead props resistance.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
[QUOTE

What I don't get is why they fluffed around with the engine at all when they were barely on their climb. Ideally you'd want to cut and feather the bastard but I'd be looking at getting into a stable flight first. A single ATR Pratt and Whitney could deal with pulling the aircraft and the dead props resistance.[/QUOTE]

The only reason that I can think of is that the vibration was so bad in that they had no choice but to shut down the engine.
Unfortunately, due to their high workload, they shut down the good (operating) engine.

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The only reason that I can think of is that the vibration was so bad in that they had no choice but to shut down the engine.
Unfortunately, due to their high workload, they shut down the good (operating) engine.

Wouldnt be the first time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The reports say the copilot was himself a captain with 7000 hrs experience who had stepped in at the last moment to fill a gap in the flight crew.

A fair few of the Asian airlines have crews trained here in NZ.

TwoHeads

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SSV Ute
Generally you will need an ATPL (Airline Transport Pilot License) to get a job with one of the major airlines in Australia. This is where the 1500 hours of flying comes in. CASA requires 1500 hours aviation experience before they will give you one (plus the exams you have to sit). The rules have changed recently with the implementation of Part 61 (new licensing system). Some of the smaller airlines will take pilots with the bare minimums. They would also like to hire people with the right experience, flying around the bush in a single engine Cessna is not going to give you the same experience as doing charter operations in a light twin under the Instrument Flight Rules. The less training cost and risk for the airline, the better.

Regardless, it is easy for us to sit here and say that other countries' training isn't as good as Australia's, or their pilot's aren't as good. It is simply not true. I have had some of the best and worst pilots fly with me, and they are from Australia. Some of the best and worst have also come from overseas, and I've flown with them too.

Remember, they have taught monkeys to fly aircraft, they have yet to teach a monkey to fix one. (BTW, I am a pilot with one of the "big three" off shore helicopter companies. Yes I have an ATPL, yes I know what I am talking about).

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute

i thought the 1500h was standard everywhere.
if if not, i retract my earlier comments.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Anybody can be commercial pilot, all you need is lots of cash. As stated before, the hours are the most expensive part and on top of that, the ratings/certification. That is why most of commercial pilots are ex military. The Gov paid for training and hours.

On some countries if your daddy is rich enough you can be a pilot (commercial/military).

Most of the training if you think about it is about reaction over thinking. Pretty much is see a condition and react the proper way. The cockpit layout is design for the "blind". That way you know where all is, without looking, some calls it "muscle memory" That comes with experience and proper training.

Oh, forgot to say. Because you are a pilot does not mean that you can fly all the aircrafts. The priciples are the same and cockpit layout is similar but not the same. I am not a pilot but had what we call "Stick Time" on AH1, UH1, OH58, simulator time on UH60 and flown on a 777 Center Seat. Very similar and each craft has its own flight characteristics. Remeber the time when we were on a test flight and when the craft was required to have a pilot as co-pilot heard many times over that "I will seat but I am not rated". In lame terms... I fly with you but if some crap happen, do not expect much from me.

Last edited:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
TransAsia suspends pilots who failed flight tests

TRANSASIA has suspended 10 of its ATR pilots from flying after they failed a flight skills test ordered after last week’s plane crash that killed at least 42 people.

And that is my original thought, engine failure with improper emergency procedure = major disaster

What was the engine failure? Was caused by FOD and/or Maintenance?