Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is wrong with my VT?

Skeet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
I have a VT SS. It has a limited slip diff. The rear shutters when you take off or go out of your driveway, In forward as well. And when I slow down it has a bit of a clunk. There is no wind in the diff at all. The wheel bearings feel good. I have adjusted the back of the handbrake to loosen it off as I thought the handbrake was locked on. But it is still shuttering. Has any one got any ideas what could be wrong please?

Thanks

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
the first part is called Diff shudder, a squirt of additive will fix it no worrys.

the 2nd is called backlash and its what the std Holden LSD does, you can have it tightend if you wish.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
what he said^^^^.
also are you accelerating hard ??? possable axel tramp.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
My VX SS had diff chatter at low speed, like cruising around a carpark looking for a spot or doing a slow 'U' turn also had a clunk just as you came to a stop. I had Holden change the diff oil and put the additive in, also had to change the pinion seal as there is a Holden bulletin stating the additive is not compatible with the old style seals and will eventually leak, (Have the bulletin somewhere here on the PC), anyway magic fix, no more chatter and also the clunk has completely gone, maybe because they have tightened the pinion nut a tad more that has fixed it. Also re the clunk the Holden service guy said that if the clunk persisted there was some revised software Holden released to help overcome the clunk a bit, something about cutting the fuel flow ever so slightly as the car came to a stop to allow the change back to first gear to be a little softer. My diff chater did sound similiar to a rear brake catching and letting go.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Tailshaft uni mebbe??
Was thinking like you there:). Good advice.

Check that also.

Amazing how much a tailsahft can make shudder through the whole car, Especially in the rear.
Did one in the VP, It had a tinny little crack, The car was really unbalanced bad, Diff would bang, Vibrations under accelerations.

rhysyvtss

chev badges for sale!!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
y series r8 clubby, wicked vn
yer mate my vt ss did the exact same thing ur explaining it shuddered on full lock more but also turning gradually. and the it made a diff clunk when it was changin back to first approachin traffic lights and such.. changed the diff oil and got an addative put in and now its silent cant hear a single noise from it! apparntly its very common with commodores the diff oil thinns out and u get drivetrain noise.

andyos

Ozzie 98 Clubby
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT CLUBSPORT 5.0L
I have the exact same problem with my 98 clubsport.I was thinking a brake stuck on or that the diff was stuffed.Can you tell me what it cost you to have the work done or is it easy to do it yourself.Also what is the name of the additive that was put in with the diff oil.Thanks for your valuable info guys.....

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
i got the additive from horsby diff's.

TORCO type G.
for around $25 from memory.