Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what memcal to use??? vn v8

D

Damian_w42

hey iv got a vn v8 bt1 but it has no memcal so i need 1 but what have you guy's got like the 165 kw 185kw 200 kw chip????

Last edited by a moderator:

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
well being a vn, u'll have an 808 computer, so standard it's 165kw, the hsv chip would be 180kw but u need a knock sensor and loom.

the 200kw motor not sure about but from a stock 5l don't think the chip would work as that was the grA motor or the vp clubby5000i.
the 185 chip is the vr onward hsv chip. that chip wont work in ur computer.

just question tho, if ur car doesn't have a mem-cal, does that mean it's not running. cause it shouldn't be.

D

Damian_w42

thats right its not runing its going into my hq gts now i was just at holden then and i can get the g.A chip it will cost me 150 so how much power dus a vn g.A have???

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
grA vn has 200kw. not sure what is done to get that power, maybe new cam and other stuff as the hsv enhanced motor only had 180kw.

gr a motor was pretty tough with the 4 bolt mains and other stuff like roller rockers, i just read about it last night in an old holden 25th annervesery mag(australian muscle car mag).

H

HSV1992

For VN-VP you can only have the 180kw memcal and will need a knock sensor for it to work.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
HSV1992 said:
For VN-VP you can only have the 180kw memcal and will need a knock sensor for it to work.

only if you want a standard HSV part...

there are plenty of other options available

Rob

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
TAILS83 said:
grA vn has 200kw. not sure what is done to get that power, maybe new cam and other stuff as the hsv enhanced motor only had 180kw.

gr a motor was pretty tough with the 4 bolt mains and other stuff like roller rockers, i just read about it last night in an old holden 25th annervesery mag(australian muscle car mag).
VN Group A is 215kw. Four bolt mains caps, twin throttle body manifold, different cam, etc.
Only the HSV 180kw chip with knock sensor and loom or a custom one (doc bob) will work on yours.
AirStrike :air:

H

HSV1992

Doctor Bob said:
only if you want a standard HSV part...

there are plenty of other options available

Rob

I was going to suggest a custom memcal if the engine had the bolt-ons or head and cam otherwise isn't worth doing one.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
hey doctor bob, what sorta mem-cal can u do for my stock vp clubbie to get more power, all i got on is twin 2.25in zorst and cai with a bit of timming advanced.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
we cam probably squeeze a bit more out of it without too much drama.lol