Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what noise does sagged engine mounts make?

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
www.l67torque.com • Login

chaser- read that ^^^^^^^^^^ :D

(copy'd from another thread)
The Holden engine mount is designed with a safety lift bar across the bottom. Its purpose is to stop the engine from being pulled of the engine mounts and falling out of the car in a torque situation and most of all in a collision.

The placement of the engine mount lock bar when bottomed out on the engine cradle was to produce knock and fire the knock sensors retarding the engine if the engine mount was worn of damaged.

Because of staggered placement of the engine mounts on the V6 the drivers side mount usually only works as a hinge with only a little downward pressure compared to the large amount torque lift on the passenger side mount.

However a worn or damaged mount on the drivers side will and should set of the knock sensors protecting the car from damage..

The majority of the damage to to drivers side mount is from a leaky oil filter or harmonic balance seal that over time degrades and softens the rubber leading to the mounts complete failure.

A good fast way to check if you mounts good is check that the sump in you car is above the lower edge of your engine cradle.
If the engine is level or lower than the cradle you need to replace the mounts....

Zapp

and it makes a bloody big difference.. mine was stuffed for ages(prob 12mths) and it gained so much power just from a new drivers side mount....i had surging issues (plus others) i couldnt fix/find for 12mths and this was the reason.. lol it was screwed
26112010472.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
:yahoo: hahaha wicked... mine had lost power again the last few weeks and could find out why:bang:... then this thread made me check ^^^that^^^ old thread again which reminded me :idea: my motors doing exactly what it used to when the mount was stuffed.- bit noisy, surgey, down on power, n just shoit to drive..
so went and checked the sump now and its on a little slope and lower than the cradle :smoking:

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Pretty common with commodores especially vt onwards the mounts. Mine were that bad when i had them replaced and got some of maces wonderful insulators the plenum one wouldn't fit under the bonnet. That's how low she was.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
God your great for info Dave. Lol I was out tightning bolts and under the car today. Sump is on downward slope. There is about 5mm maybe less clearance from bar. Needs bushes here and there, looking around for a new exhaust that doesn't sound healthy either. All tinny and shitty sounding. Rear muffler is rooted I think sucks in and out and could be part of the sound. Engine mounts looked fine. No leakage or cracks. How much clearance should the sump have? Thought it was pinging but had it engine management checked and all good exept a lazy oxy sensor when cold. The mrs gave the thumbs up to give it a bootfull today to make sure it wasn't pinging. Kind of spuin. Those crate motors from zzp look pretty good. Lol damn.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hey chaser, I had a similar noise in mine, could have sworn it was coming from engine or auto but turned out to be a rooted l/h rear drive shaft.

Reaction score
Members Ride
God your great for info Dave. Lol I was out tightning bolts and under the car today. Sump is on downward slope. There is about 5mm maybe less clearance from bar. Needs bushes here and there, looking around for a new exhaust that doesn't sound healthy either. All tinny and shitty sounding. Rear muffler is rooted I think sucks in and out and could be part of the sound. Engine mounts looked fine. No leakage or cracks. How much clearance should the sump have? Thought it was pinging but had it engine management checked and all good exept a lazy oxy sensor when cold. The mrs gave the thumbs up to give it a bootfull today to make sure it wasn't pinging. Kind of spuin. Those crate motors from zzp look pretty good. Lol damn.
lol i've just had the same problems and found answers/posted questions before ya ...

not sure on the clearance it should have, but it shouldnt be on a slope regardless.... but ^^^^ that mount in the pic looked fine when it was in too till i took it out .. the pass side mounts are the ones that rip in half and are visible to see the damage... if ya get right under ya can see how much clearance the pin in the mount has before it hits or if its resting on it....

why were ya 'kind of spuin'????? not enough power yet??

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Nope, want more :( trying to talk the mrs into letting me cool it . Il get the rockers and see how I go. Lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
if the engine mount is stuffed and its knocking you'll be loosing a fair wack of power n torque..( i did anyway.. the new mount made mine come alive, couldnt believe the difference it made... was one of the best mods i did lol ) and if the mechanics right and it is ya mount/sump making the ' banging milk bottle' sounds theres a good chance it could be setting off ya knock sensors too n robbing some power..

also- if ya driving it around with ya misses, kid n baby i'd strongly suggest not to get a twin 2.5' exhaust... they're loud as hell and drone like a mofo.. hsv exhausts are still reasonably quiet with no droneige ..

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
I just don't understand why it only it does it only once i put the foot down and get it boosting. I can drive around all day, pick up speed pretty fast and not a sound. The second I put my foot down bam it's there and it stays. Temperamental bitch if a thing lol. Is there much difference between the exhaust on mine and the hsv? It's the same as the VT SS on mine. Just tinny and sounds like crap. Annoying the crap out of me. Just the sound is making the car run slow I think lol. Depressing.