Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil do vy drivers tend to use

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Yeah sorry about that typo. I also change the oil and filter at 7500km or 4.5 months inbetween each log book service.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
redlion05, what engine is in your VY Calais, how many kms has it done and what state do you live in (average temp each day)? Also do you run it on fuel or LPG?

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
castrol gtx2 20/50w,cars done 248,000kms now so needs something a bit thicker otherwise it burns up the oil a bit quick

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Don't use nulon's, i used there's cause it came in a 6ltr bottle and my engine rattled its head off, this was after i'd always used castrol magnatec, switched back to castrol magnatec and all good, only use magnatec in every car i work on, use it in the ls1 and have used castrol edge 5-30 in the ls1 currently using the magnatec and as i said not as loud now.

nothing wrong with nulon man, i use ther 10w40 in vs with 124,0000 and runs like a dream

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hey guy, my Vy calais has 148k. I travel a lot of freeway k's, which has burnt the oil quickly. My dealership placed castrol magnatec 10w-40 in it and it's done 7k km. I purchased castrol modern engine oil recently with 5w-30 in a 5l bottle. Will that be enough oil for the engine with new filter? I'm hoping to change it today

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Sorry guys. I also start my engine in cold 3 degree mornings and it runs on petrol. Thanks in advance

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey guy, my Vy calais has 148k. I travel a lot of freeway k's, which has burnt the oil quickly. My dealership placed castrol magnatec 10w-40 in it and it's done 7k km. I purchased castrol modern engine oil recently with 5w-30 in a 5l bottle. Will that be enough oil for the engine with new filter? I'm hoping to change it today

Nope, it takes 5.6 litres (approx) with filter.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thank you for your response VY Mad.

Are there any places that stock 6 litre bottles of oil or do you have to buy 2x 5 litre bottles for an ecotec engine?

Btw, when I completly drain the oil (with the car warm), will it actually take 5.6 litres of oil with the filter?

I'm asking cause atm, my dipstick is reading below the low level (when cold), otherwise, when i've had the car running, the oil level is way above the full line. Is it still safe to drive and when they define 'operating temperature' for the level, does that refer to when the engine is warm but checked 10 minutes later after the engine is switched off?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
As long as the level is within the range shown on the dip stick it is OK however if it got below the half way mark I would top it up if it was not due for a change soon. I just did mine today, oil and filter drained while hot and I tipped in an entire 5 litre bottle and it still needed about another half a litre or so. I pre filled the filter before I put it on which is also a good idea as the motor wil get oil pressure a bit faster. Also I checked my auto transmission and it needed a fair bit of fluid so if you have not checked that it's not a bad idea. You check the auto with the motor running in park at opertaing temperature.
The only 6 litre bottles I have seen are Nulon. I was thiking about trying some but I have stuck with Magnatec so far. I just buy 5 litre bottles and the second bottle suplements the next 4 or so changes. You can buy it in 1 litre bottles but it is un economical.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
I've always known to check the car when its cold to get a level but does the vy ecotec need to be checked when warm? Thats where i'm getting confused as i have two different readings when warm and cold.

When you changed you oil today, where did you oil level show up on your dipstick with a full 5 litre bottle? Also, was the oil warm or cold? Thanks wortus