Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil do vy drivers tend to use

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Yeah the Ecotecs (and I think most other newer engines) have to be checked while warm. Makes a bit of difference as the oil expands when warm. Make sure that when you are checking the hot oil, you've let it settle for five or ten minutes first.
I always buy the five litre bottles of Magnatec and always need more than one, like said above they take approx 5.6 litres. Yep fill the oil filter with a bit of oil before screwing it on and even though the book says approx 5.6 litres, I generally put 5 in and then gradually bring it up to below the full mark, remembering to start the engine when it's nearly full to fully circulate the new oil. By leaving it a few millimetres below full, you allow for the expansion when the oil is hot. Check each day for a week or so to make sure the sump plug or filter aren't leaking.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I've not noticed the engine ol expand by that much when hot, certainly not as much as transmission fluid. I just fill mine to near the top of the range. If it's a few mil over when it's hot it won't hurt but if it was like 10mm then I would be worried. Remember when the car is running th elevel in the sump will drop as ther eis oil circulating. When I bought my car it had just had a dealership service and was way overfilled so I drained it back to the top of the range.
When you replace the sump plug make sure you use a new crush washer and torque the plug up to spec. It should not come loose. I usually tighten mine just above the minimum of the torque range.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Redlion, you didn't reply to my questions that were to ascertain your oil weight needs. No worries but for sure the 10-40 and 5-30 are both too thin for an engine with 148000kms. I recommend and use Penrite HPR10 which is a good semi synth or alternatively you could use Valvoline XLD or Motul excess. One thing is for sure, a 30 or 40 weight just won't cut it on a well worn engine like yours. I'd recommend at least a 10-50 or even a 60w. A tad over the dipstick is fine. I run 6L in my VY as they have a larger capacity sump and the dipstick full mark is higher than previous models

HTH

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hey chargedvx6, I have stated above that my car has 148k, runs in vic and on alot of freeway kms and starts on 3 degree mornings. I've decided to get castrol modern engine with 10w - 30 (which in the holden service book is within my temperature range). I wanted to get some synthetic oil but didn't have enough money to spend unfortunately. Thanks to everyone for their advice though, its been very helpful :) Has anybody found their ecotec engine runs well and uses less oil on synthetic oils?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Hey chargedvx6, I have stated above that my car has 148k, runs in vic and on alot of freeway kms and starts on 3 degree mornings. I've decided to get castrol modern engine with 10w - 30 (which in the holden service book is within my temperature range). I wanted to get some synthetic oil but didn't have enough money to spend unfortunately. Thanks to everyone for their advice though, its been very helpful :) Has anybody found their ecotec engine runs well and uses less oil on synthetic oils?

cant help ya there as ive always used fully synthetic oil, hows it run on the 10w30? not noisey or anything?

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
It runs well with 10w-30 and not noisey at all but still chews through oil. I've now purchased Nulon 10w-30 in a 6 litre bottle. Hopefully this gives me better oil consumption results

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Depends on the car....4 cars - 4 different:-

Mobil 1 Synthetic SAE 10w-40w(Her daily), Castrol Edge sport SAE 25w-50w, Castrol Edge Sport SAE 10w-50W(His daily) and Royal Purple Synthetic 10w-40w.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Magnatec 10W30 here. Doesn't burn oil.

festa1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
what oil would everyone recommend i have a vy ss 02 model done 79000 km car gets serviced at a ford dealership its still under warranty there im not sure what they put in it would i be better off paying bit extra and putting some fully synthetic oil in next time i get it serviced need too find out what they use

Mark Nightingale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY HBD
Using Nulon 10w-40 Fully Synthetic in my VY (ecotec, 120 000 k's) no problems as of yet, seems quiet, good economy and doesnt burn through it.. I work at SuperCheap so i've been playing around with oils a bit in some of my other cars, castrol, nulon and valvoline have all done pretty well, value for money Nulon seems to do the trick for me.. they do it in a 6L bottle too which is handy for commodores haha