Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Oil Do you use in your car

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Penrite SIN 15....!!!!

Last edited:

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
spac said:
Hey guys,

Just wondering why some of the post herre state they use oils around the rating 50 mark?

My engine has just gone over 100,00ks and is in very good nick and i found that using oil such as magnatec 10w-40 was fine and that I can use castrol 5w-30 as well with no oil burning happening at all? usually i thought real think oils were for cars that have worn out piston rings? although i have heard the in summer you use slightly thicker oil because of the heat?

My mate used hpr 60 in his RX7 (yes i know its a rotory) and it lost power as the oil thickness took power away as the moter had to turn it around.

Anyways please coorrect me if im wrong!

yeah i use a thinker oil 20/60 becuase my rings are on there way out..i used castrol 10-40 and it drunk the oil like there was no tommorrow.

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
Speak to any experienced metallurgist and they'll tell you that to an extent, changing the oil regularly is much more important than what you put in. I go for something with a good SL/CF rating and try to change it at about 7000k's. Of course if you put rubbish in your car this isn't true. At the end of the day its only working on a low compression low revving pushrod engine. If I was putting it in some 10.5:1 compression japanese sewing machine engine then I'd look at the sexy oils. Each to their own..

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Raging Bull said:
Mate how are you finding the Castrol Formula R 10W 60 oil? I wanted to get it last oil change but it says on the bottle that used for high perfomance/compression engines and mines a stock ecotec so I just went with the Castrol Magnetec. Alot of people recoomend the Formula R oil for ecotecs? Is it good?

The motor sounds alot smoother & quieter with it in... starting is quicker...usually first turn over... it might be my imagination but I reckon it's getting a better piston ring seal as the motor feels more tight compared to GTX2. It also feels more torquey when the boot is sunk...but that may be due to the coolish weather and denser air atm.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Motul 4100 Power, visco weight 15W/50, semi synthetic!
works a treat, gets changed every 5thou along with filter n it comes out golden brown! :D

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
VRAddiction said:
i wouldn't use full synthetic in your commodore man!!!! TOOOO thin......stick with semi-synthetic!! im a mechanic so i know what im on about....

Whats a load of bollocks. A mineral oil of, for example, 20w/50 and an API SL will be the same thickness as a full synthetic 20w/50 and an API SL. If I can see some hard evidence to prove what you're saying then I'll come around to your way of thinking, but until then I'll think differently... and so what if you're a mechanic. I've met some brilliant mechanics, but I've also done business with some who haven't a clue what they're on about.

B

bns-sticky

BP Visco 3000 and Ryco filter

Filter and oild one at every 5000km not a problem. My ute works hard doing a little towing and does about 100 to 150kms a day some days. It has 230000 kms now.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
cool guys.....