Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil is everyone using

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
congrats on your new car purchase steve, use the factory filter and oil spec then warranty should not be a problem, but please don't wait for the 15000km oil change intervals these were designed to reduce running costs of the vehicle NOT for longevity of the engine
Thanks @markalan1two , she won't be a daily drive and based on what my other vehicle does a year, she will only do about 5000km/year - So it will serviced by time intervals not km. My question was around that I want the servicing done by the book, using GM recommended oil. There was talk on this thread that some dealers are putting in different oil. (I'm not in a position to do my own oil changes)

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I take my ute to the dealer workshop for all its scheduled 9 month/15,000 km. But change the oil/filter privately every 7,500 km at a local garage, I supply oil/filter and they charge $82.50 for the work. Any good quality and correct grade engine oil is fine. Many years ago I worked at a garage where we used a so called "multi-grade" engine oil pumped from a big drum to service all different models. None of the cars we serviced had any major engine problems. But then back in those days, engines were less high tech and rather robust.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Also, having a quality oil filter that is changed every oil change is imperative for maximum engine longevity.
Mike what is the quality filter you are using? mine is due for a service soon and I will be taking my own oil in and filter.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
The Genuine filter is good. Even though I use special oil, I use the OEM filter.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Thanks @markalan1two , she won't be a daily drive and based on what my other vehicle does a year, she will only do about 5000km/year - So it will serviced by time intervals not km. My question was around that I want the servicing done by the book, using GM recommended oil. There was talk on this thread that some dealers are putting in different oil. (I'm not in a position to do my own oil changes)

i couldn't imagine a dealer using less than the recommended grade of oil maybe not the best brand, but using the wrong grade they would be leaving themselves wide open to litigation in the event of an engine failure,from Holden and the customer

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Aaaaaaaaaaaah........Wasn't life so much easier all those years ago when you only had 2 grades of oil to use
20w50 for petrol engines
15w40 for diesel engines

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
Mobil 1 5W30 in my Stateside Caprice

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Mobil 1 5W30 in my Stateside Caprice
Well howdy sir, we don't get many visitors downunder from yanks apart from @Skydrol / Richard Craneum (real name?).
So you have a PPV, we have a section for whales here too so more info / pics ware welcome :)
Edit: Holdon, stats say you have 4 messages and just joined but you've been spying here for some time now!

Last edited:

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
Thanks, I drop by from time to time. My car was never in police service. I picked it up with 9000 miles on it.
IMG_4384.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4382.JPG
    IMG_4382.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 152