Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil is everyone using

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
Typically in my LS powered vehicles. (The Trans Am, Truck and Caprice) I run Mobil 1
The Trans Am(LS1) gets 10W 30, the Truck (6.0 Iron Block) gets 10W 30 and the Caprice Dexos 5W 30

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ah...I paid $39.99 for 5w30 at Costco. Never mind. My local garage charged $82.50 to change the oil/filter yesterday, half hour labour and disposed the old oil/filter included. I used to do it myself but I will probably let them to do it in the future, no fun to crawl under the ute at my age. I used to fill up the new filter with oil and grease the rubber ring before installing it, guess no one does it anymore.
Grease or oil? I only ever use the same oil I'm running to lube the seal. I also like to prefill the filter.

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
I always prefill the filter too.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd be careful dropping the oil before the recommended first interval as the initial oil may have special additives for break in.

When I get my Vf 2 ss I will be only putting 10 tenths penrite oil in as this is actual fully synthetic oil not "highly refined mineral oil that is able to be called fully synthetic". The 10 tenths is a pao ester blend (made by chemists) and doesn't break down as easily as the highly refined hydrocarbons - leaving less varnish and waste as the organic compounds are burned off.

The pao ester stuff also has a high viscosity index meaning it is less prone to massive viscosity variation when high temps are experienced.
Yes, it's good stuff alright. Although, i used it in my L77 and it didn't like it at all. I'll try it in my LS3 in future though. I had to change back to Penrite 5w40 Enviro. Which, I also believed to be 100% synthetic / contain no mineral oil. I may be mistaken though?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I take my ute to the dealer workshop for all its scheduled 9 month/15,000 km. But change the oil/filter privately every 7,500 km at a local garage, I supply oil/filter and they charge $82.50 for the work. Any good quality and correct grade engine oil is fine. Many years ago I worked at a garage where we used a so called "multi-grade" engine oil pumped from a big drum to service all different models. None of the cars we serviced had any major engine problems. But then back in those days, engines were less high tech and rather robust.
Like. say pre mid to late 1980's engines? Less hi-tech yes. Lower tolerances and not as reliant on very high quality oil as modern engines as you alude to. But, robust? Not really, IMHO. Some could take abuse. Overheating etc (which was very common) didn't kill the cast iron donks etc. But, generally they wote out much earlier than modern engines

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well howdy sir, we don't get many visitors downunder from yanks apart from @Skydrol / Richard Craneum (real name?).
So you have a PPV, we have a section for whales here too so more info / pics ware welcome :)
Edit: Holdon, stats say you have 4 messages and just joined but you've been spying here for some time now!
Don't knock the Stato Bro. They're epic cars!

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
Looks sinister.
It is by far the best car I have owned. Such a shame Holden won't be made in Australia anymore. Put together so much better than the rest of my GMs. Plus, looks awesome and does everything pretty good. I have a tune, cam and exhaust. Love it!

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Mike what is the quality filter you are using? mine is due for a service soon and I will be taking my own oil in and filter.
Ryco filters are good as any however the factory gm is good also