Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What oil is everyone using

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Like. say pre mid to late 1980's engines? Less hi-tech yes. Lower tolerances and not as reliant on very high quality oil as modern engines as you alude to. But, robust? Not really, IMHO. Some could take abuse. Overheating etc (which was very common) didn't kill the cast iron donks etc. But, generally they wote out much earlier than modern engines
I don't think that it's just because the oil just is so much better, but quality of valves is much better now than what was and mainly it's to do with the state of tune, I remember how many cars ran out of tune back in the days and people who did not service them well did not last well, but well tuned and serviced red motors and so on could be driven hard as and get good 400,000KM out of them engines.

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
I use Mobil1 filters or OEM. Never any problems.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
In answer to the OP, I'm going to be using Mobil1 - Waiting for 2000kms then will dump the break-in.

So I have a K&N filter ready when I do this change. I'm coming from motorcycles and have only ever used K&N there, in saying that this is my first v8 (and Holden for that matter) and there seems to be a lot of love here for the OEM filters... What are your thoughts on the K&N? I'm more than happy to do OEM instead over the K&N or is there no real difference?

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Yes Tonner Matt. Simpler back then. The oil used to be outside at
the servo beside the pumps in glass bottles - 1 Quart or 1 Pint - and they were
refilled from drums. :)

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
In answer to the OP, I'm going to be using Mobil1 - Waiting for 2000kms then will dump the break-in.

So I have a K&N filter ready when I do this change. I'm coming from motorcycles and have only ever used K&N there, in saying that this is my first v8 (and Holden for that matter) and there seems to be a lot of love here for the OEM filters... What are your thoughts on the K&N? I'm more than happy to do OEM instead over the K&N or is there no real difference?
k & n are a good filter and will not give you any problems , i use ryco filters my self on all my cars and and they do the job , but have brought some delco oil filters for use on my vf redline, not because i think there better than other brands but for the reasons of warranty so when it gos into holden for the factory service they wont know some one else gave it a oil change as i will change the oil every 5000ks.
i think others will be using the delco filters for the same reason.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute

I change oil/filter at 7500 km in between the scheduled 15,000 km services, I used Nulon 5w30 fully synthetic oil and Ryco filter. Mobil 1 and K&N filter are good but may be too much for 7500 km. I will try the AC Delco filter next time but sticking to Nulon oil. As I were saying, I try not to use the OEM filter so I know they change the filter at scheduled services.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i just mark the filter housing with a small scribe scratch mark which is inconspicuous to anyone else that way i know its been changed.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Im using Enviro+ GF-5 5W-30 (Dexos 1) Full Synthetic in my 6.0L WN.
Have done 2 oil changes since i bought the car and have been very happy with the results.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Stocked up some more Nulon 5w30 fully synthetic oil from Costco, still $39.99/5 litre. Bought a pair of 1000 kg car ramps but have to make two ramp extensions myself as the SSVR's front overhang is too low. Also bought 2 AC Delco oil filters online. I am set for the next 2 oil/filter changes at 22,500 km and 37,500 km. (Dealer workshop does the 15,000 km and 30,000 km services).

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
You can do it without ramps