Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Should the Correct Battery Voltage Be?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Naaaah. Not in the perfect VF.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
I would give it 1 full charge and then test it out in the cold weather and letting it sit for days. If it gets weak make them replace it. Shouldn't need to be buying a battery for at least 3 years. Then you buy the best and forget about it.

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
It may not be the battery at fault, you could have a constant current draw somewhere in the system.

That's true, and someone here had trouble with their glove box light staying on constantly. That would do it for sure.
I had an unbelievable run with my sv6 ute. Had it for five and a half years and sold it with the original battery that was still working fine. Did tell the buyer that it was original though and to get a new one at the slightest hint of any slow turnover

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You claim the vehicle is new. Of course with a new (never previously owned) the vehicle would/should have a brand new battery. It may not be fully charged -depending on how long the vehicle had been sitting stationary or dealer employees left the radio playing for days without running the engine !!
Being a new vehicle it will have a full factory warranty. yes the battery will also be warranted by the supplier - via the Dealer.
Suggest that you obtain a quality battery charger (suitable for Calcium Batteries), plug it on and let it run on recondition cycle (make take 18 - 24 hours). If you still have problems take it to the Dealer or a reputable Auto Electrician.
It's not unheard of that a faulty battery gets into the system.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Hi, I just bought a new VF SSV Redline. On the whole, I love it but it's really struggled to get started the past few mornings.

The battery voltage on the display says 13.9v (I have seen it as high as 14.3v). The vehicle was supplied with a new, fully charged battery.

Other than taking it to the dealer, does a run up the highway still sort this sort of thing out? If yes, how far would I need to run it for?

Anything else I can check?

Having to go to the dealer is a big problem due to work, so I'm hoping it's something simple many forum readers might know about.

Thanks,
Richard

A sitting battery should have a voltage of 12.1 or over , it varies from battery to battery , do a search for your battery and read it's specs.

as for the voltage you're reading, that's the charge voltage and in the newer vehicles, less then 5 years old,

I think it should be on or over 14.4 yes .4 , not the old 14.3

As they have upped the charge voltage to take in account calcium CAL/CAL and AGM batteries.

Get a multimeter and measure the charge at the battery ,
also measure the battery voltage sitting , then keeping the multimeter on battery start it and see how much the battery drops ,
shouldn't go below 10 volts, I think from memory .

Isn't there a battery saver/usage mode on the VF ?

And as stated a charge on a battery charger might refreshen it ,

just noticed you're in brisbane , maybe it's the cold snap you're having and you're not use to battery lag in winter , lol :/

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
My VT gets up and charges at 14.4....especially on cold mornings, or if I
haven't driven it for a while.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
The VF (and VE) don't just charge at a set 14.x volts, there is an algorithm that charges the battery at varying rates dependant on many factors (electrical load, headlights on, engine load etc).
I've watched mine charge at 15.2 volts down to 12 volts.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
The VF (and VE) don't just charge at a set 14.x volts, there is an algorithm that charges the battery at varying rates dependant on many factors (electrical load, headlights on, engine load etc).
I've watched mine charge at 15.2 volts down to 12 volts.

cool, wondered how they did it, and good to see they've done it.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
In my VE, you've got the instruments above the air vents telling you battery and oil etc. Where do you see this on the VF? I've got one coming and it would be nice to know.