Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sort of Amp?

SUSS8

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 Holden Calais VR V8
Hey pplz, I was at the local market over the weekend and came across a guy selling all kinds of different subs and what not. Found an Audiobahn ALUM12N Audiobahn :: Sub Woofers :: 12inch sub with 1000watt rms for $60 bucks brand new. Anyyy wayy, my question is, what sort of Amp would some of use recommend i use? and something decent on price! The amp i got in their is only a Alpine V-Power and has no where the amount id like it to have to be able to power the sub and i dont understand how you would wire this up as it has 2 negative and 2 positive connections?

file.php

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Go WOW they have 1000W rms amps for like 70. Well they did anyway. Cant remember the name.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I think this may have been posted a while ago? Well atleast a very similar thread was ;)

Anyway, this sub has an unusual impedance, dual 6 ohm coils....more like the JBL subs.

So its 1000wrms, being dual 6 ohm coils you'll need an amp that produces a minimum of 800wrms at 2 ohm, not going to be overly cheap. Heres a few suggestions:

Clarion 880wrms @ 2 ohm, $480 at Ryda.
Kenwood 900wrms @ 2 ohm, $350 at Ryda.
More ideal, Fusion 1300wrms at 2 ohm, $370 at Ryda.

Now, to wiring it. You need to wire each + terminal together and each - terminal together. Then run them to the amplifier. Alternatively, most monoblocks these days have two sets of speaker output terminals. So you can just connect speaker wiring to each set of terminals then run them to the amplifier, just like connecting a pair of speakers to an amp.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i remember another guy bought the same, or very similar sub.

Seriously, steer clear of whoever is selling these things.Think of the price the seller must be buying them at, to offload them at that price and make a profit.

It does not produce 1000 watts rms, neither would it handle anywhere near that.If someone does buy one of these, and wires it up to any form of 1kwrms monoblock, you'd wanna have full comprehensive insurance to cover the fire damage your going to get as a result.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
I think this may have been posted a while ago? Well atleast a very similar thread was ;)

Anyway, this sub has an unusual impedance, dual 6 ohm coils....more like the JBL subs.

So its 1000wrms, being dual 6 ohm coils you'll need an amp that produces a minimum of 800wrms at 2 ohm, not going to be overly cheap. Heres a few suggestions:

Clarion 880wrms @ 2 ohm, $480 at Ryda.
Kenwood 900wrms @ 2 ohm, $350 at Ryda.
More ideal, Fusion 1300wrms at 2 ohm, $370 at Ryda.

Now, to wiring it. You need to wire each + terminal together and each - terminal together. Then run them to the amplifier. Alternatively, most monoblocks these days have two sets of speaker output terminals. So you can just connect speaker wiring to each set of terminals then run them to the amplifier, just like connecting a pair of speakers to an amp.

I have the PP-AM300010 which is in the link above that holdenboy has suggested, and at that price it is a brilliant buy!!!! It will drive the sub with ease, that's for sure!!!!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah thats true, saw the price and thought it was awesome for the power it produces....not a bad buy ;)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Go the Fusion. Never had an unhappy customer.