Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What the?????

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Howdy folks,
Well, I've got a strange one.
The VN recently dumped the power steer fluid!:mad: Dunno where from yet, it's a bl00dy mess under there, fluid everywhere. Anyhoo, I topped up the power steer fluid with dex3 and so far no leaks?? It's still full?? :hmmm:

Whats the go??? this is rather bazaar...

cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Try turning the steering wheel side to side, if it leaks, then likely your rack is toast.

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Hey arcarmody, I've been driving it around now since it happened. Still full of fluid. When I topped it up I started the car and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times to try and find the leak. No joy. There is fluid from r-sole to breakfast time all around the rack and from side to side. There has obviously been quite an appocoliptic event involving the power steer system, but now its its just being pedantic.

What happened originally was, my wife told me about a funny oil leak just outside the roller door to the garage. This was Wed. An oil spill the size of a saucer. Had a quick squiz under the car and saw nothing. Thurs morning drove over town and back and parked in the yard, getting ready to pack for holidays. Visitor comes in and says there is a funny oil leak outside the shed all the way to the road. About 5 - 8 meters long. I investigate and the oil leads straight into the garage! Back to the commodore and I find the fluid just under the dipstick eg. just not registering, and a bloody great mess under the motor and all around the rack. Ditched commy and used car number 2. After hols, topped up p/s fluid and tested, nothing, been driving all around town, nothing!!??? As if nothing has happened, except of course for the absolute mess under the car.
Conundrum.

cheers

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Might have to degrease it and see if the hoses are loose or a split.. Make sure it's all clean and dry and then turn it on and turn the wheel and park in a clean place or put some cardboard Under it to see where it's from

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Might have to degrease it and see if the hoses are loose or a split.. Make sure it's all clean and dry and then turn it on and turn the wheel and park in a clean place or put some cardboard Under it to see where it's from

Onto it. cheers:thumbsup:

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
is it a 6 or an 8? my old 6 had a leak from the washer at the bottom of the plastic reservoir. doesn't really account for the spontaneous leak/not leak action, but could be worth a check.

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
is it a 6 or an 8? my old 6 had a leak from the washer at the bottom of the plastic reservoir. doesn't really account for the spontaneous leak/not leak action, but could be worth a check.

Thanks pow3rslave, I'll check that out.

I've bought a coupla cans of degreaser so I'll put her up on ramps and give it a bath in the next few days. Hopefully I can sort it soon eh.

cheers