Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to do with 1995 with head gasket problems

EREXON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Yeah but it is a big job thats why the big price tag.

As you said the actual part is cheap but the amount of work (LABOUR) - is what you pay for.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
If you only want it to last a few months you can try the chemiweld again. But its not good for the internals and you run the risk of blocking somthing up that shouldnt be blocked. But if it works once more then it will see you get where you need to go. It may be a cheaper option to put in a second hand running engine, as its possibly less work to do swap the engine then pull your old one to bits.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
If you only want it to last a few months you can try the chemiweld again. But its not good for the internals and you run the risk of blocking somthing up that shouldnt be blocked. But if it works once more then it will see you get where you need to go. It may be a cheaper option to put in a second hand running engine, as its possibly less work to do swap the engine then pull your old one to bits.

yeh would be cheaper to get a secondhand lower k engine as you could pick them up very cheaply now. and seeing that the head gasket has gone...what else would go on it n the near future as i have herd that the head gaskets arnt very common to stuff up on these engines

nickg777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive 1995 v6 station wagon
Thanks for the advice all very useful and very much appreciated.
I think that although the chemi weld might last me another 5 months I would prefer not to do any other damage and see if someone is interested in taking it. It seems like one of those things where if you know what you are doing the parts are relatively cheap so someone could get it fixed up and sell it on for a good profit?

commomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
Its not really that hard to replace head gaskets.
DO NOT USE CHEMWELD
Ill fix it for you if you lived close to the sunny coast

Keeffe

Reaction score
Members Ride
None ATM
DO NOT CHEM WELD!

Dude it's only a push rod engine super simple to work on really. I knew of a mob that will rebuild an engine for 3500 complete in sydney.

Should take a current mechanic 6 hours and about 400 dollars worth of machining gaskets and ancillaries. That means the mechanic is charging 100 an hour if the price tag is 2000.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Alot of wrecking yards would be happy to install another engine for you for 1000 bucks, some young kid thats used to pulling them out will have it out and back together in a day. So that's an option if you aren't confidant to take the heads off

nickg777

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will check with the wreckers and try and get another quote off some garages.
I am in Townsville not sure if my location is effecting prices.

Cheers

nickg777

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks especially for the offer to fix it. Not sure it would make it from Tsville to Sunshine Coast.

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
Just drop a new engine in it. Wouldnt cost anywere near $2000, My mates VX had a blown gasket. We picked up a low K engine for about $500, We put it in our selves, But we asked our mechanic and he said he would have done it for $350.