Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What tyres to get for 15x7 interceptors

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Can you tell me why you would use a more expensive tyre for all of 2 cm of width? Wouldn't the money you waste going 225 be better spent on a higher quality tyre in 205?

Easy, 225 will offer more grip, better handling and better braking. If none of that is concern to you, then that's your opinion. I gave my opinion, which is well backed up by substantial reasoning. Why have 15x7 if you want 205 on there, may as well pick up 15x6 if that's the tyre size you want.

The op clearly asked for tyres for his 15x7, then asked about 225 tyres, and also made clear that kumho tyres were not flash hot in his research. Now tell me why you would suggest a 205 tyre?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Easy, 225 will offer more grip, better handling and better braking. If none of that is concern to you, then that's your opinion. I gave my opinion, which is well backed up by substantial reasoning. Why have 15x7 if you want 205 on there, may as well pick up 15x6 if that's the tyre size you want.

The op clearly asked for tyres for his 15x7, then asked about 225 tyres, and also made clear that kumho tyres were not flash hot in his research. Now tell me why you would suggest a 205 tyre?

Ok no worries. I had interceptors on my old VR. Had more then enough money to burn. Asked the tire shop who advised against 225's as the price difference and availability between the two was ridiculous. Had a look at a few interceptors with 225's and I hate the sidewall bulge. Sidewall bulge means less control.

225 VS 205 is 2 centimeters. Hardly going to make any difference to anything you listed. Also hardly worth the extra coin.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
all due respect but
15x7's never had 205's fitted from factory, I think you are getting confused with 15x6's that generally had 205/65/15 and defiantely not 205/60's you had fitted to your VT

Dazz

All good mate, you are correct. I did not read the thread properly at all, I'm glad you pulled me up on it.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
all due respect but
15x7's never had 205's fitted from factory, I think you are getting confused with 15x6's that generally had 205/65/15 and defiantely not 205/60's you had fitted to your VT

Dazz

sorry but GMH factory fit for vz with factory 15x7 chasers was Bridgestone RE88 in 205/65-15 (maybe cops got 225 but not joe public). Pretty sure no 15x6 on any VZ.

OP - in 225/60 on 15x7 inch rim I have used Michelin MVX, Nankang Toursport 611 an Bridgestone G-Grid and really cannot remember any great difference except the G-Grid are directional so make rotating tyres a real pain in the real world when trying to get best value from wear .

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Only 2cm difference if you ride a unicycle. That's 8cm across the whole car, and a braking system is only as strong as its weakest link, which is tyre contact with the road. Increase that, you will have better control of your car.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only 2cm difference if you ride a unicycle. That's 8cm across the whole car, and a braking system is only as strong as its weakest link, which is tyre contact with the road. Increase that, you will have better control of your car.

I highly doubt there will be a noticeable contact patch difference between 205 and 225. It's per tyre. Your not rocking 8 cm's per tyre you only have 2. Your contact patch with the road might and I stress might increase but it will be less then a percent if anything.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Big sidewall looks 1400x cooler though

Maybe for some. Old school cars look pretty tough with a bit of bulge I think it looks average on most newer cars.

I think commis with big walls are awesome, same as ef-bf falcoons....

However I think colored walls other than white or red look **** or any other than white looks **** on anything bigger than a 16" rim, but that's my opinion...

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
sorry but GMH factory fit for vz with factory 15x7 chasers was Bridgestone RE88 in 205/65-15 (maybe cops got 225 but not joe public). Pretty sure no 15x6 on any VZ.

Hmmmm Vz cough cough 15x6
Joe public as you say only got 15x6's NOT 15x7s, steel wheels prove otherwise ;-) except the aclaim that had 15x7 but in a alloy..

at the end of the day as Wraith said in real world driving I doubt there would be any difference in handling etc, wether you went for a 205 or 215 or 225, for me having a 205 on my rim especially with chrome wheel trims didnt look right so I went for a 225

Holden VZ Commodore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VZ Commodore Executive
Holden VZ Commodore Specifications