Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What vz v6 ute to buy?

Which v6 ute?

• Storm 6spd

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • V6 Thunder 6spd

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • SV6 Auto

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • SV6 6spd

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • SVZ 6spd

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys,

I'm on the look out for a VZ V6 Ute for work, but there are so many choices!! :hmmm:

I'm after a manual as I don't like the 4spd autos but if a good SV6 with the 5speed auto comes up i might get that.

Anyway, apparently only the SV6 comes with the 190km motor?
If so, Is it really worth all the trouble searching for the SV6?

Can you please gimme any feedback or recommendations on any of these Utes.

Please help, and if you know anyone selling one let me know :beer chug:

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Something with a tray because the stylesides get raped with work

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
did the utes even come in SV6? my brother had a vz ute but it was the S pack. and yes it was a VZ

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
did the utes even come in SV6? my brother had a vz ute but it was the S pack. and yes it was a VZ

i think after 2006 The SV6 replaced the Ute S. And adding the 190 motor. Just wanting to confirm this if anyone knows?

mdmatt

mdmatt
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
too unpowered..

i had a 6 speed SVZ ute.. i got bored of it after 6 months and traded for an SS

no i know that was no help, but it was a nice ute.. looked great.. SVZ > SV6 (not that there's a difference engine wise)

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
too unpowered..

i had a 6 speed SVZ ute.. i got bored of it after 6 months and traded for an SS

no i know that was no help, but it was a nice ute.. looked great.. SVZ > SV6 (not that there's a difference engine wise)

if i wasnt a p plater there would be no questions about a 6.0L ss thunder. =[

so can anyone tell me which ones have the 190 motor?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
The SV6 came with the 190 Alloytec and was fitted with a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual. The previous S had the 175 and 4 speed auto.

Having owned a 175 4 speed I would HIGHLY suggest you stay away from it. It went like puss and the box honestly felt like it needed a rebuild after 100,000 kays. I currently have a 190 with a 5 speed in my Stato and it feels much smoother and seems to have more go.

As Fitzy said, get a trayback if you can, they are much better as work cars.

What do you do for a crust?

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Just get a s pack, they aren't as powerful as the sv6, but it's still a great car. You will pay a premium for a storm or svz. The 175 motor is easy to work and the 6 speed manual gearbox feels great. The only thing is that when the car is older than 80k, the LSD will loosen up and spin one wheel.

Honestly, for what you get, the s pack is the way to go. They are usually fitted with fe2 suspension and they are great to drive. If you save a few grand by getting a s pack, you can spend the saved dough to make it a better car than the storm or sv6.

You really don't want to pay for a sv6 badge when really, you only get about 15 extra kw and foglamps. Plenty of s packs have the 6 speed box, and it will still pull ripper skidds.

Last edited:

allanssv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The SV6 came with the 190 Alloytec and was fitted with a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual. The previous S had the 175 and 4 speed auto.

Having owned a 175 4 speed I would HIGHLY suggest you stay away from it. It went like puss and the box honestly felt like it needed a rebuild after 100,000 kays. I currently have a 190 with a 5 speed in my Stato and it feels much smoother and seems to have more go.

As Fitzy said, get a trayback if you can, they are much better as work cars.

What do you do for a crust?

yeh i already have a sedan sv6 at the moment and don't really wanna downgrade in power. guess ill have to hunt around for one of them.
as for crust. do you mean job? if so im a chippy =]

Just get a s pack, they aren't as powerful as the sv6, but it's still a great car. You will pay a premium for a storm or svz. The 175 motor is easy to work and the 6 speed manual gearbox feels great. The only thing is that when the car is older than 80k, the LSD will loosen up and spin one wheel.

Honestly, for what you get, the s pack is the way to go. They are usually fitted with fe2 suspension and they are great to drive. If you save a few grand by getting a s pack, you can spend the saved dough to make it a better car than the storm or sv6.

You really don't want to pay for a sv6 badge when really, you only get about 15 extra kw and foglamps. Plenty of s packs have the 6 speed box, and it will still pull ripper skidds.

ripper skidds im not a hoon! just kidding im on a commodore forum obviously i am =P
ive seen a few s packs and they look nice, but as i said before downgrading in power might be a bit gay.
Yeh i know the pain of a loose lsd.
Although my mate has a storm ute in the 4speed and he still beats me so hopefully with a 6speed manual it should boogy a bit more than my sv6 sedan regardless.
its really a hard decision as the storms and thunders look nice, while the sv6 has the added 15 kws.