Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would it take to get higher speed limits in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
The mobile cameras are almost never on the side the majority of the traffic flow is on (inbound in the mornings and outbound in the evenings). They can’t get a high enough strike rate when it’s a toss of the coin if the traffic will be flowing at speed or backed up.

I travel with the majority of the traffic (inbound in the morning and outbound in the evening) and the right two lanes are regularly doing 105-110kph on days when the traffic is flowing properly and I see cameras on the other side of the road regularly.

I assume the other side probably always flows at 100kph so they don’t get pinged but I can’t verify that as I don’t travel in that direction.
wait so when you say "can't get a high enough strike rate"
do you mean that if many people are speeding, the mobile speed cameras won't work?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
do you mean that if many people are speeding, the mobile speed cameras won't work?

Harder to speed in a build up of traffic

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There is increasing talk in Adelaide of lowering speed limits around some surburbs, from the default 50 to 40.....

With some surburbs already being 40, they have been talking of reducing them to 30......Even the CBD, which is a combination of 50 and 60, reducing to 30.....All in the name of reducing pedestrian accidents

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There is a stretch of road I travel on coming home which is designated as 70 kph that reguarly has a speed camera set up.....Funny thing is, during the times it is set up, you're flat out reaching 30 kph, as it is a busy intersection controlled by traffic lights....It takes between 5 and 10 mins to travel 2 kilometres....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No.

What it means is they won't put a mobile speed camera in a spot where they are likely to only get a couple of speeders. It's not cost effective but more importantly it's not revenue generating.

You have much to learn.

Those of us who have been driving longer than you have been alive have been around long enough to see all the tricks the authorities use. I know most of the common mobile speed camera spots around my way and haven't had a speed camera ticket in over a decade as such. With age comes experience and wisdom!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is a stretch of road I travel on coming home which is designated as 70 kph that reguarly has a speed camera set up.....Funny thing is, during the times it is set up, you're flat out reaching 30 kph, as it is a busy intersection controlled by traffic lights....It takes between 5 and 10 mins to travel 2 kilometres....
Last year they reduced the entire Auckland CBD to 30km/h except a couple of main thoroughfares which are now 40km/h and the lower half of Queenstreet has been closed to private vehicles.

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is increasing talk in Adelaide of lowering speed limits around some surburbs, from the default 50 to 40.....

With some surburbs already being 40, they have been talking of reducing them to 30......Even the CBD, which is a combination of 50 and 60, reducing to 30.....All in the name of reducing pedestrian accidents
nanny state!!

justcommodores1

Reaction score
Members Ride
No.

What it means is they won't put a mobile speed camera in a spot where they are likely to only get a couple of speeders. It's not cost effective but more importantly it's not revenue generating.

You have much to learn.

Those of us who have been driving longer than you have been alive have been around long enough to see all the tricks the authorities use. I know most of the common mobile speed camera spots around my way and haven't had a speed camera ticket in over a decade as such. With age comes experience and wisdom!
"i haven't had a mobile speed camera in over a decade"
does that mean you never speed, or you never get caught speeding?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
They can’t raise a heap of revenue from people stuck in a traffic jam!

Status
Not open for further replies.