Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats better? Ecotec or Alloytec V6????

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I keep seeing a lot of KW figures thrown around in this thread, how much torque is your car making? That's the real question!

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
I've said it once and I'll say it again, an alloytec with an exhaust sounds like someone farting with their mouth into an empty baked bean can.
Try what you want, extractors, 2 1/2 inch, 3 inch, hi flo cats etc etc etc, the alloytec is still up there with the worst sounding 6 I will ever come across....
timoo5 what your suggesting with a baked bean can is interesting, ican replecate sound of an WRX by pissing in a VB can.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Stupid thread. people always have their own opinion. Go out, drive both yourself and form your own opinion

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
The choice is up to you, every car/engine has it's pros and cons.

You could buy a VZ that has been looked after really well and serviced regularly and it will be a great car (same with getting a VY), or it could have been thrashed or neglected, oil not changed regularly, overheated and it could start costing you.

Yes the Alloytecs can have their problems (or not), but I know a guy who had a VX Wagon with the Ecotec, he overheated it and ended up blowing the head gaskets, so we replaced them, then 12 months later he done the same thing but this time he stuffed the engine.

Common problems with Ecotecs are the sump gaskets leak, rear main seal leaks, rocker cover gaskets leak, valley cover gaskets leak, engine mounts wear out fairly quick, supply hose from power steering reservoir to pump leaks, anything can happen and it doesn't matter how good you look after it.

Yesterday we had a 2007 VZ Wagon Alloytec come in to work with 60,000kms on the clock, had a miss in the engine and turned out one of the coils was faulty. Proves the point of you can look after a car and something will still stuff up.

mattathm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Yip I totally agree...
the thread was started to see Eco Vs Alloy, and is spending a **** load of extra dollars worth it to get a newer model car (which im not fussed on) or do I save a heap of money and get a VY?

I'm reading a lot of your opinions, and its tending more towards the VY Eco.
We already have a Captiva, nick named the craptiva...I think it has the alloytec, cant say its great that's for sure, and the owners before me spent thousands on it, and one of the bills was the cam chains!
If the Eco is easier to mod, with bolt on stuff, goes forever if maintained (cant quote on coils, they are a bolt on item, you will always get problems like that) and a strong and reliable engine then I think Ill save the money and get a VY and spend some more money on tidying up the cars general state and bolting on some mods.
As you all say the Eco's are a dime a dozen, so if the engine does crap out, Ill just buy another one.
I'm a mechanic by trade, so working on it wont cost me anything just time.

I think Ive made up my mind, Ill try for a 03/04 VY.....

Cheers all!