Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats Next?

libardu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 Ute
I'm just curious about where you guys think i should take my modifying of the uterus next. Atm its a standard 5L, only mods are a gilmer setup, plus Pod Filter. She does also have a single 2.5' exhaust with one muffler and 3.45 diff gears.

She still feels quite sluggish and just wanting to see where i can go with her.

But here are the limitations of what I want...

It is a daily driver/work horse, so i dont want anything too dramatic. Money is a bit of an issue so im not here to strip here down and stroke it to 383 and bolt a V2 on there :) lol.

I was thinking things such as getting a higher flowing manifold and t/b. possbile cam change, up the compression, or anything else Holden felt to leave restrictive

Im reading here about guys hanging it around corners in 2nd gear while burning rubber like theres no tomorrow, id be lucky if i could do it in first... (joking but you get the pictuce)

Any comments are appreciated.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
I wouldnt call a gimler kit a performance mod :) more than likely to slow you down a tad than give you some although the slippage rate is reported to be much less than the holden fan belt setup, plus they look cool.

2nd gear skids?? youll find there probably 1st gear skids around corners to be lighting up 2nd gear (if its an auto) as youd have to be going pretty quick to be getting 2nd gearies....

for your price range a cam and tune would be the best bet, manifolds cost around the 2 grand mark for anything decent (brand new) & upping the compression ratio involves either getting new pistons or shaving the heads/block. a custom tune off greenfoam for 57 bucks and a cam (150-400) would be a good start. I also see you are running just a pod? there not that bad but you will get more out of an enclosed airbox with a cold air induction pipe running to it, you can either enclose the pod with a custom box or use the stock highflow holden airbox with a panel filter, both are about the same but i prefer the pod. So its an automatic? a shift kit or corvette servo with a service will do it wonders if its in good condition, on a slipping box it will decrease the life of it so make your choice carefully and assess the condition of it.

For 1000-1500 you can get a port n polish job making the inlet/exhaust valve ports smoother & a bit bigger. a 70mm throttle body on the stock manifold isnt a bad idea, the holden manifold isnt quite as bad as people might think.

That should get you a bit more power and take a fair bit of cash off you if your not intentionally wanting to spent a great deal, although you will get used to the power quickly and want more, if you do decide on forced induction later down the track i would suggest leaving the compression ratio as it is as comp & boost dont mix too well at high rpm's.

Last edited:

libardu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 Ute
Thanks Mate,

No its not an auto, Stick Shift :thumbsup:

I was thinking of looking into a cam, thinking something with a small lump, but dont feel like driving from servo to servo lol. Ill look into and find out what i can get my hands on! And then get in touch with greenfoam for a retune.

About the Pod, i do prefer it to and an enclosed box is in the design stages and there will be a nice pipe coming from the front bumper underneath it for some ffffresh air, should come up a treat!

Thanks again mate :w00t:

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
get the 70mm like old mate said and a foam tune cheep and easy it will give you a bit more poke both things make a big diffrence over standed. being stick shift i dont understand how you carnt slide round corners in second.

libardu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 Ute
Im looking into the 70mm throttle bodies, but had an idea... just wanting all the know-it-alls to give their 2 cents.

Atm ive got the 165kw 304, from what ive heard the 185i has nothing more than a knock sensor, different cam and new memcal.

Is it possbile to add in the knock sensor (buy from Holden) wire it up, and use the 185 memcal without a cam? Is it worthwhile, are there any gains?

On the TB side of things, ive found one on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/70mm-THROTTL...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Any thoughts?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Atm ive got the 165kw 304, from what ive heard the 185i has nothing more than a knock sensor, different cam and new memcal.

All the 185 had was a memcal change with the knock sensor, airbox upgrade and a better exhaust. Nothing was changed internally, identical to the stock 165...:thumbsup:

libardu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 Ute
I just found a thread with a explanation on how to do it all. Looks easy as :D

Ill call Holden on monday and see if they want both arm and a leg for this one.

Cheers mate

Anyone with any advice on the throttle body?

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No gain on the throttle body on a stock or very near stock engine, tested it myself last night. A tune is still the biggest single bolt gain you can do to a stock 304. The 185 memcals are about half a tune

libardu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 Ute
Alright then, what do you charge for a tune?

I've got just basic mods, Exhaust, CAI. Possbily a port and polish in the near future. Let me know if you need a definate on that.

Also is the knock sensor needed for your tune too?

libardu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 304 Ute
Hey Guys,

Just chasing some advice from you. Im wanting to put in a nice lumpy cam into the ute. Something like a 284/286, but obviously looking for a whole kit, with springs, collets and retainers. Just wondering what you would think about getting one that requires no head work?