Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats the differnces between VS-VR

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
gday guys,

I'm after my 1st car. At first I wanted a jap import s13/300zx but coudlent be bother with all the hassles so im now wanting a nice and simple commodore. What is the main differences between the VR and VS,Which one makes the better car?they look identical to me.
And What is an s pack?
BTW I will be after a 3.8l manual

thanks

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
go vs...........

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Not a whole lot, an entirly different engine, entirly different gearbox...

id say go the VR, i like the GM 3800 better than the ecotec... i like the BW T5 better than the getrag...

Interior wise, nothing really... they look pretty much the same...

aZk.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
A lot but not all of vs have abs and a airbag standard...most vrs dont ...you would probably get a car with less kms on it if you got a vs ......ecotec motor in a vs has a little more grunt than the buick in a vr.....dual mass flywheels in vs manuals with getrag can give you trouble when they get on a bit ...and the trusted borg warner t5 with the solid flywheel give less drama over their life.
A few more vs have independant rear ends over vrs

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
When looking I wouldnt start by picking between a VR or VS. I would be more interested in finding a mechanically sound car. The common problems are shared between the two. Theres no point skipping a really good VR because you want to get a VS, and get a crappy VS simply because it's a VS, and vise-versa. Have a look around, get in and test drive, find what features you like and have the car checked. Find the one that rates best in all of those criteria and you have a winner.

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
kopper69 is so right.. look aroundd

andd i guess what people are saying the option for hes 2 cars are
the VR Spac = sports pac wif better suspension n da bodykit i think that was all :D LOL
so yea VRspac 3.8l manual ftw??

SummerSickness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
yeh as mentioned above decide on the individual car, not the overall model, i wanted a VS simply because it was newer but i got a VR Berlina as opposed to a VS executive (i wouldnt have had the money for a VS Berlina)... found the right price, low/average kms, the guy had done some mods to it, and the car was in excellent condition, as was the engine, so that did it for me. go looking at both models and decide on a specific car, not the entire model in general :)

MaXiLeeCH

irc.WorldIRC.org boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II Berlina
I'd say go with the VR, fuel economy with the VR was heaps better than the VS,the downside is there isnt as much go-fast gear available for the earlier engine, compared top the eco-tech.
I believe that the VR was the most economical of all the commodores.
(Mine certainly is, VR SII Berlina getting 6.8Lt per 100km @ 100kmh cruise)
BTW, My commodore is for sale for $3000.00 without a RWC. :)

cheers,