Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wheel jolting when breaking mostly at lower speeds

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I wouldn't skimp, commodores need all the help they can get. Just be sure to get both the subframe and control arm sides of the castor, with that much movement they are both likely cactus. The new control arms may come with rubber castor bushes but they will probably be junk

I'm bias to urethane, specifically Superpro as you don't want any give or your toe and alignment will feel it
I have urethane on my Crewman. Will have Urethane SuperPro on the Cross8. I didn’t post the SuperPro ones because they are around $250 plus the control bushes.

Ideally I’d suggest to get a whole front of car SuperPro bush kit. Do all of them. OP will be done with it and be a very happy camper.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_5448.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3030924...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I have urethane on my Crewman. Will have Urethane SuperPro on the Cross8. I didn’t post the SuperPro ones because they are around $250 plus the control bushes.

Ideally I’d suggest to get a whole front of car SuperPro bush kit. Do all of them. OP will be done with it and be a very happy camper.
Agreed. The only place I like rubber is on the strut tops, NVH can be annoying. I have Superpro everywhere else aside Nolathane on the sway bars and links. Not a fan of the Superpro on those, it's a touch too soft

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, it turned out my passenger side lower control arm bush was buggered (the one closer to the ball joint) but could also be radius rod bush as well. Jack up the car and have a look
If you're getting exactly what's in the vid it's not your LCA (though it's stuffed too). They can be noisy and you can feel it (mostly in the steering) just LCA controls lateral movement. The Castor controls parallel movement

It's not an uncommon maintenance item and with most things commodore it's best just to do all three angles together; struts, LCA and Zbar at a minimum. If you're feeling ambitious throw in steering and sway bars. Then you'll realise just how messed up your steering got

Dismissedtub

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais v6
I wouldn't skimp, commodores need all the help they can get. Just be sure to get both the subframe and control arm sides of the castor, with that much movement they are both likely cactus. The new control arms may come with rubber castor bushes but they will probably be junk

I'm bias to urethane, specifically Superpro as you don't want any give or your toe and alignment will feel it

hey thanks so much for the help, I just have a quick question, so I have a new pair of lower control arms coming (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143140379732) and I'm going to order the Mackay caster/zbar bushes (https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...ng=en_AU&vid=AMQhFzMl6i8601kutR4LjA==&start=1) would this be good to just drive around for a bit and then later down the line will replace the lower control arm bushes from the rubber to some better ones like you recommended?.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hey thanks so much for the help, I just have a quick question, so I have a new pair of lower control arms coming (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143140379732) and I'm going to order the Mackay caster/zbar bushes (https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/mackay-caster-strut-rod-bush-kit-front-pair---holden-commodore-vt-vz/SPO179537.html#q=caster&lang=en_AU&vid=AMQhFzMl6i8601kutR4LjA==&start=1) would this be good to just drive around for a bit and then later down the line will replace the lower control arm bushes from the rubber to some better ones like you recommended?.

If you're working to a price point the gear you posted is fine as is. You can come back to it later, just costs two wheel alignments

With the eBay LCA I'd recommend checking that you can't just push the bush shells out with your fingers, it's known to happen

Dismissedtub

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais v6
If you're working to a price point the gear you posted is fine as is. You can come back to it later, just costs two wheel alignments

With the eBay LCA I'd recommend checking that you can't just push the bush shells out with your fingers, it's known to happen
okay, thank you for the help it's greatly appreciated, just on a budget atm due to a holiday coming up.

Dismissedtub

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Calais v6

I found the Superpro kit on eBay comes with the inserts for the lower control arm so I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it as I can get it for $200. is it hard to change over the lower control arm bushes, like to press them in?.

(https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3144876...kJ4k8YGECqxxzaG3C6mTBBQA==|tkp:Bk9SR9iOyb6cYw)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes. You could take them to a suspension shop and get them to press them out.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
a washer missing from the zbar ,when you had it apart is my guess . What did you find ?