Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheels question

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
hey guys, just wondering how the vs would handle 18"s, would i need to roll the guards or do anything special? and then when i lower it again same question, thanks :)

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Yes, I'm running 18's on superlow and the lip under the wheel arch on the front needs to be flattened or it rubs when turning.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Depends on tyre width and how low you are as Vee-ard mentioned. I had superlows and 19s with 245mm tyres and they rubbed the front guards going around tight corners. I put 235s on them and now I get no rubbing whatsoever without rolling the guards

Gurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 86 Berlina
I have a 97 VS with stock suspension with 18's and 245's on them and no rubbing.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
I've got 18x8's with 235/45 tyres on King's Lows and have no issues. If your car is lower then yeah I wouldn't be surprised if you have problems, but with standard, FE2 or King Spring Low's you shouldn't have any issues. If they do rub then you can get your guards rolled and/or an adjustable panhard rod or camber kit depending if your car is IRS or live-axle.

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
thank you :) im pretty new to suspension/springs, so;
-Is my car (Vs exec sII, '96) IRS or live-axle, what do those mean and what the difference between the two?

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
IRS is an acronym for Independent Rear Suspension. An IRS diff is sort of hinged at either side of the diff centre, so either wheel can move independently of the other, one can be up and one can be down, for example. IRS is arguably better for a circuit car/cornering.

Live axle, or solid axle/rear is where the diff is one solid piece the whole length. It's better for quarter mile or straight line racing.

You can see which type of diff you have quite easily just by sticking your head under the back of your car, as the two diffs look very different. If you're still not sure, put a jack under the centre of the diff and you will see the whole diff lift if it's solid, or the centre will lift and the wheels will stay down if it's IRS.

Diagrams just to help :)

Solid/Live Axle:
500px-Solid_Axle_Diagram.svg.png

IRS:
dedion_axle_diagram.gif

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
im pretty sure the wheels lift with it when i jacked it last time, which comes with most stock VS's? and thank you very much, i like the sound of IRS better :)