Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where Are My Kw?

V

victor95

I've just had my 95 VS taken into the shop for intake, chip, extractors, muffler and a 2 1/2" exhaust. My mechanic put it on a dyno and discovered only 80kw at the rear wheels when it should be 120kw. Does anyone know why this is? Is it wear and tear and will it effect my mods?

Ant.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
you say 80 at the back wheels i would have thought this would have been about the standard reading for a stock v6,maybe a bit more even,did you notice an improvment when you got the car on the road or does it feel about the same,if it feels it has more power then maybe the dyno figures were incorrect,going back a few years ago i had a phase 2 falcon gtho which was worked,about 320 bhp at the back wheels was what i used to get on a dyno but when a new owner took over and i had my first tune with him they put down 200 bhp at rear wheels this was what a standard falcon gt would produce,when i queried him he gave me some bullshit about the water brake on the dyno rollers were shagged so that was the last time i ever took it to him again
cheers fergi

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
ps i would have thought those mods would have given you about an extra 20 /25 kw and about 100 kw at the rear wheels or around that mark
cheers fergi

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
when you had it on the dyno what was your air/fuel ratio at was it to lean or to rich cause i think yuor problem would be the chip, my advice is take ti to shop like chiptorque and have it rewriten in real time and this should fix your problem

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
My advice is that theres something wrong with the setup..
My 1988 rb30e with 2.5" exhaust and extractors, k&n filter spat out around 87rwkw..

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
sounds like theres a real problem with either the car or the dyno, stock vsv6a should be about mid 90`s to 100.
exhaust & etc should be about 115 ish & upwards depending on the chip specs

Rob

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
my stock VS pulled 139HP at the rears on the dyno which ecquates to around 105kw at the rears roughly somethings wrong id put my money on the chip get it looked at.

squizzytaylor

Reaction score
Rubbery dyno figures

I used to work for one of Sydneys best known dyno shops at Parramatta and the fact is that dyno expectations, results and facts are three opposite things. The question you have to ask yourself is, "is the car performing better than it was and if so by how much?"
There are Taiwanese dynos on the market that are as dodgy as hell and some of the operators make the dynos look good. Allthough the old trick was for the operators to mess with the load on the dyno to produce better dyno numbers cos thats what customers like to see! :confused:
Also Autos if theyre not right can really srew up your figures for example if yoor auto is shifting to early your kW's will be downas youre probably not getting full power to the rollers.
I had my VS V6 chipped and cold aired locally in "Real time" with an increase of 30kw at the rears (@4100 rpm) allthough the real outstanding feature has been the increased torque, it is a %^&ing missile at the lights.
Dont be afraid to get a second opinion somewhere else but just ask yourself
how it rates to how it was.

GT

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Hilux 3.8l vs v6 & 4L60E
stock vsv6a should be about mid 90`s to 100.

Rob
Hi doctor bob, just wondering when you said vsv6a, is that the chip program? Would that chip be able to have lpg program? I suspect my car has a standard chip although it has lpg