Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where is the intake manifold? (dumb question?)

javt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
I've been told I need new intake manifold gaskets. I want to have a crack at this myself.

I have an Ellery's repair manual (for my 1999 V6 VT), but with very poor and limited diagrams, it is not incredibly useful to me. I originally bought this book to show me how to replace the front and rear radius rod bushes, but being as useless as it is, I relied solely on this forum for help.

Anyway, I basically just need some diagrams to get me started, as once I have them I'm pretty good at pulling things apart and putting them back together.

Descriptions would be more then welcome to. Are there gaskets on both sides of the intake manifold? Where is the intake manifold (in relation to other components)?

Any help will really be appreciated as it may save me $212.50 in labour!!

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
the intake manifold is the big thing in the middle of the heads under the plenum (which is where the air pipe goes into)

ecotec%20complete%20intake.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the intake manifold + plenum (yours wont have the two throttle bodies)

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
First attached pic is the intake manifold on a 5L V8, and the 2nd is the valley, which is what it looks like when you take the manifold off.

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 856
  • valley.jpg
    valley.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 941

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
You could aslo try checking a gregories manual if yours is a bit vauge, i find they somtimes have more pics and better instructions then some other manuals.

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
Hey javt99 how are ya doing man?
check out this attached image hope it helps!

cheers,
VT97Calais

javt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
Wicked, thanks heaps for all the pics guys, they'll definitely be a good starting point for me!

Hey VT97CALAIS, where'd you get that diagram? It looks like a Gregory's style pic.

I wasn't able to find a Gregory's manual for the VT, do they even exist?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Why do you say its a stupid question, we dont know everything(some of us), how are you meant to know if you dont ask ? You may go lookin under your heads for it......

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
G`regories do make them for the vt you will find them at repco,supercheap places like that the book number is"273" hope that helps

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Did you manage to get your gaskets replaced? I'm in the same boat as you.... can't decide whether to pay the mechanic $$$ in labour, or just do it myself....

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
hey guys i have done this on a mates vt all you need is the parts from sprint auto or repco or where ever you get your parts from while your there get some gasket goo.... lol.... tell them your replacing a intake manifold gasket they'll point you in the right direction of the parts and supplies you'll need... MAKE SURE TO GET A GREGORY'S MANUAL ITS NO 273 ITS THE BEST 44.95 INVESTMENT YOU WILL EVER MAKE IT HAS EVERYTHING TO YOUR CAR ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN REPAIR IS IN HERE.....