Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to get replacement keyways from?(Outboard)

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
The problem i have is with an outboard boat motor,it has an impeller attached to the prop shaft thats purpose is to draw water into the water pump to keep the engine cool.

Upon dismantling it this afternoon i found the problem to be a broken keyway that caused the shaft to spin while the impeller stayed stationary hence not drawing water & getting very hot.

Im looking for somewhere where i could find one of these keyways its half circle shape.

I've tried a few marine shops but they only sell a complete kit,but everything else i have is in good working order.

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Yeah did some running around today no one had any,just emailed a few Marine shops hopefully they can sort one out for me early in the week.

old_fella

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SSV UTE
There just a woodruff key, an engineering shop should have them.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
good luck with it, Marines not as easy as sourcing car parts (we've only just fixed a similar issue)

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
I've been doing a bit of research on the manufacturers site & its brought me to 4 different woodruff keys which it could be,but the site only lists the part numbers with a generic picture but no dimension which doesnt really help allot.

I'l wait to see if i get any info from the emails i sent tomorrow then i'l try some local engineering workshops.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
You can usually get them in GJ Assortment packs but as you only want to buy one, try going to an engine rebuilder or a local Nut and bolt shop. Places like Bursons and Repco would also be good places to try. Good luck with it anyway