Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Where to learn fibre glassing for body kits?

fatboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive 3.8
Hey Guys and Gals! :beer chug:
Firstly i would like to say thank you for letting me join the forums, being a first time user and poster i did my best to find the right place to post my thread (if i got it wrong please let me know so i dont annoy any Veteran members :spot on:).
About 12 months ago i purchased a whole bunch of body kit moulds (Front end/rear end and skirting) for multiple different things (VR-VS, VN-VP, VU-VZ, MALLOO BONNET/TRAY LID, Some fender moulds in there also + random ford/other ones i havent really looked at) and would be interested in trying to learn how to use these moulds as i have no previous fiber glassing experience. But struggling to find where to learn.
I have used to google to try and look for courses/things like that but they all seem to be tied together/with long term courses like marine boat manufacturing and repair and things like that........
Anyone able to point me in the direction of where to start looking/contact to try and learn?
as i dont want these bad boys to go to waste :(
20160608_100014.jpg20160608_100429.jpg20160608_100435.jpg20160608_100459.jpg
A few pics had a size to big to upload but here is some of them.
Thank you in advance for any help or information you guys may have :)

Chris

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
You posted in the QLD section. Are you close to the coast by any chance ?
If you are go and talk to a local custom surfboard maker
They might be your best shot at finding out where to get some hands on experience or training

fatboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive 3.8
@Tonner Matt: Live in Camira so im about 1hr 15mins drive from the goldie, never even thought about that thanks heaps i will look into that idea :D
@rambunctious: When i called them up last week, the "courses" are all long term /industry specific like "Marine boat repairs" or something like that and is pretty exxy :(, im currently workign 5-6 days a week so tafe is a bit hard for me also :(
@kiwicon: Thanks for the link i shall do, i guess i should also look into purchasing/where to get the matting/hardener/fiberglass to lol

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions it all helps :D

fatboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive 3.8
Hahahahaah nice, Nuplex is legit like 4 mins drive from my house/i work 5-6 days a week cleaning/fixing/building the cube 100Litre ibc pallets for Nuplex at my work, what a small world hahaha
@kiwicon thanks heaps!

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Pretty interesting looking lot, but man you are going to need some money to get started. how old are they?
There is a hell of a lot of time go into just prepping the molds to start with, hope you got plenty of time.

fatboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive 3.8
@Pebbs the insides/lining thats used for the moulding is all all good and been kept clean/scratchfree however th outsides are a bit messy lol.
they a few years old but havent been outside the entire time, unfortunately they are at the moment as the 20x40 Ag shed i heave here is chocked full of crap so i will be hiring a skip to clear out to get them back in there