Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to run amp power wire

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
yes, if you got fans for airflow you wont have a worry.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I think the reasoning is that in some cases amps are designed so that as the air around the components is heated it rises, and if the chassis ventilation is only designed to allow the rising air escape in one mounting position only, if other than that position is used the warmed air can be trapped and this is what causes things to overheat.

Really though, unless you are out to wow 'em in the competitions, most decent quality amps won't be too bothered by being upside down unless they're running at close to their limit all the time. I've mounted several amps in this location, never had a problem.

Oh, your point about the fans is a fair one Stoged, although the majority of amps don't have fans. I actually disagree with the use of fans in amps because if the fan is needed that means the heatsinks can't cope - therefore if the fan fails, it won't be too long until the amp DOES cook.

Anyhow, we're jackin' Ozzie's thread here! ;) As has been pointed out already mate, just choose whichever is more convenient for you. Just to throw this idea in the ring, I generally run the power feed down the left side, the speaker wires down the applicable side, and the RCAs along the transmission hump under the carpet. I also run the remote wire with the RCAs - a lot of people disagree with this, but I haven't had a scientifically explained reason why it's a bad idea. The RCAs can then sneak along under the back seat, and then rise along the edge of the centre fold-down section and are easy to conceal under the trim - they pop out real neat just where they're needed. :thumbsup:

Cheerz bloke, best of luck with the job. (now you ARE going to put a fuse in the main battery feed, aren't you?? Nice and close to the battery, right?) ;)

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Thanks for all the great info, just finished running all the cables + installing my sub and amp..now just awaiting my deck from the US :)

FYI Ran the remote wire down the drivers side with the power wire.

Next project is to do the blue/white dash conversion, so hopefully hear back from you soon Greg regarding that ;)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey ozzie - sorry Mate, I've been hell busy the last couple. I will get back to you soon...

1VP2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Commodore Sedan Series 2 3.8Litre
Just another point dude.. you should run your power wiring down a different side to your speaker wiring. I did an amp and speaker install about a 2 months ago for my vy... took me ages to do it (hours and hours).. if you need any help with it pm me, i should be able to help you with any questions you have.
Hi adam im having dramas with my system setup im no techy so i dont know audio but payed a bloke to install it all for me and nothing is working properly after he left, been goin on for about 2 weeks the guy hasnt been back hes suppose to be well respected and a professional but this job looks anything but, i have 2 6x9 in rear parcel shelf of my vp and a pioneer sub & amp in the back, he grounded it to paint work in the boot and only has the main power wire running off positive and down the passenger side of the car, tge 2 6x9s work but only until the headunit says its miswring, what am i to do

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi adam im having dramas with my system setup im no techy so i dont know audio but payed a bloke to install it all for me and nothing is working properly after he left, been goin on for about 2 weeks the guy hasnt been back hes suppose to be well respected and a professional but this job looks anything but, i have 2 6x9 in rear parcel shelf of my vp and a pioneer sub & amp in the back, he grounded it to paint work in the boot and only has the main power wire running off positive and down the passenger side of the car, tge 2 6x9s work but only until the headunit says its miswring, what am i to do
It would be best to rewire the install. Depending how he wired can be a issue for you. Eg: If the headunit is plugged into the factory harness the speakers could be still conected to the factory conecters and simply check - & +. The amp/sub should be rca leads from the headunit (aftermarket) or may have an alternative if factory. If the system is wired alternatively and not into the factory loom socket best to start again rather than faultfinding unless you are experienced in auto elec.

Dougm30

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
heat rises does it not?? so when an amp is upside down, all thet heat is trapped inside of it. it cant vent the heat out .

I know this is an old thread, so no need to tell me.

Heat rises is a common misconception, heat does not rise or fall.
Hot air rises, this is because air becomes lower in pressure, commonly referred to as being lighter, as it rises in temp, however heat itself doesn't rise or fall. Hot air is hot relative to the temp of the other surrounding air and in a confined space as its pressure drops colder denser air moves into the space made by the lower pressure hotter air thus creating ventilation of the heat sinks if there is space around them to allow the free movement of air.
So as long as there is enough space around the heat sinks on the amp there will be no issue as this is their designed function.
The amp upside down as you refer to it in this installation mean the heat sinks have cooling space around them and this is good. The amp has no right way up or upside down, it just has a requirement of air space around the heat sinks to facilitate enough air cooling for a correct operational temperature to be maintained,
If you made a bracket for the amp so as to turn it the other way up and the heat sinks were close to the shelf then you may be restricting air flow and this may cause overheating.