Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which models had tyre chewing problems?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
look champ.it doesnt matter whether or not it is a vt or vx, series 1or series 2.
some have the problem some have not.
and those that do differs in how bad it chews tyres.
MOST times a camber kit will fix it.....but there are sometimes that it doesnt

there is a lot of huff and puff on this issue and people need to realise this is only happening to SOME cars no matte the model or series.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
it affects the vt and vx series, any car with fe2, cause the rear rides low, they need to replace the camber kit (cause it's destroyed) 1 or 2 shockys, depending on dammage, and lift the arse up a little bit. all in all should cost no-more than 800 big ones, if you wanna avoid the problem, get a non fe2 one, and then get fe2 put on afterwards by the like of pedders of midas, they can sort the issue out, nice and easily.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
OK, looks like it is time to remove some doubts and myths from this thread, first, VT's and VX1's had the problem regardless of options. VX2 onwards had fully adjustable (to a certain extent) camber. If you do get a VT or VX1 and are willing to spend some money, Pedder will fit A:- A Camber Kit B:- Poly Airbags (only suitable for non lowered cars). These items were fitted to my VT1 Exec in 2000 and from that time forward until I sold it in 2004, it never chewed a tyre ever again. Now with the very large price difference between a VT1 and a VX2, I would not even hesitate to look for a VT1 with low km's and get Pedders to do their best with the rear end. If you are handy with the mechanics of your cars, the Poly-Airbags can be fitted in about 2 hrs at home, while I would never recommend home fitting the camber kit. This is best left to Pedders as they include a 4 wheel alignment into the fitting charge. Alternatively, if you really want to lower your VX, make sure it is no less than a VX2, the adjustable camber will allow a moderate lowering without compromising on tyre wear.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
anyone have a picture of these modifications?
so i can compare them to my car to see if it has been modified already because i have a 1998 series 1 vt acclaim which we bought about 5 years ago & we seem to get between 20000 & 30000ks from a set of tyres which while not perfect is satisfactory

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
just have to say, the first commodore with an IRS option was the VL Aero. I said option too....as for what these mods look like, have a look at the bush where the lower control arm mounts to the car body. if you can see some slots cut into the steel part of the bush and the centre line of the control arm clevis is offset to the bush bolt, good chance you have the camber correction kit. I must say though that i have a series 1 VT and have NEVER had a problem with premature tyre wear. i am glad i didn't listen to numerous people when i was in the process of buying, because i am completely happy with it, over 3 years down the track. i am not saying that the problem does not or did not exist, simply it doesnt affect every car. the people with problems must have bought the friday made cars......oh, how australian :yeah:

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
EcotecManiac said:
the people with problems must have bought the friday made cars......oh, how australian :yeah:

or even worse a monday morning car :)

V

VtBerlina_3800

My vt is a series one and has the same problem, got told i need a camber kit to fix it...

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
VtBerlina_3800 said:
My vt is a series one and has the same problem, got told i need a camber kit to fix it...
i have a pedders camber kit in mine and it works quite well. it still looks like there is a fair bit of neg. camber on the rear, but tyre problems are near non-existent. but i am throwing ideas around about getting a series 2 VX rear end and putting that in, as i plan to put an airbag kit in so i feel the extra adjustment would come in handy.

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
isn't it strange i have a vt series 1 intercooled calais i have had no problem with excessive wear well not the wear you's are talking about :D :D
Cuckoo

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones.
I only bought my VT not long ago, (2 months) I am hoping I haven't got this problem either!