Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which oil

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
If u were beating it silly for long periods or cranking up the boost doing skids/ circuit work I'd even go to 20w50 another thing to look at is does the oil come with real specs or just a heap of sales jargon, for example Penrite claiming to have dexos high load rating yet still being a low emission enviro oil, now plain physics the high load oil is a long chain polymer the enviro is short and castroll sells the 2 oils separately as they are different which or any would u trust I go Kendall any day

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
With out writing a wall of text.
Penrite ten tenths is probably what you need. Call their tech support line explain to them what you have.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Do you always ask the salesman if he's product is better lol I'm done here!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm guessing your knowledge has come from your own thorough independent testing of all the oils in question to arrive at Kendall being the best or did you read it on their website?
No he tested his kendall in his 7 second drag car that has a 4l60e transmission.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Avoid The 5w30 it's as thin as they can take no room for error 10/40 syn won't kick up oil pressure much but will be better protected over all and lifters in those have no trouble going a lil thicker
why not a 5w 40?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Do you always ask the salesman if he's product is better lol I'm done here!

Bless me. I'm relieved. :rolleyes:
When/if you return, please revise your grammar and sentence structure. And address statements relating to the VF series, not VS.

why not a 5w 40?

There is no 'why not', it is what you put in. 5W40 is what is recommended in the VF series SIDI DIs (my oil service was done today, Penrite 5W40), to get through the cylinder needle oil valves. Posters here would do well to research facts about the oils recommended for use in specific engines, rather than become carnival barkers to rabid populist opinion. The stuff in the preceeding posts is pub talk and scuttlebutt.

Jasetherace

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F HSV GTS
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought. You all made good points. Some builders say that due to a lumpy cam, Mobil 1 doesn’t cut it for wear protection.....clearly I only want the best for my engine.
I’m looking at the Nulon 5w 30 full synthetic.
On a different note, does anyone know who does porting for my heads, blower, and blower snout in SA.

cheers

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Bless me. I'm relieved. :rolleyes:
When/if you return, please revise your grammar and sentence structure. And address statements relating to the VF series, not VS.

There is no 'why not', it is what you put in. 5W40 is what is recommended in the VF series SIDI DIs (my oil service was done today, Penrite 5W40), to get through the cylinder needle oil valves. Posters here would do well to research facts about the oils recommended for use in specific engines, rather than become carnival barkers to rabid populist opinion. The stuff in the preceeding posts is pub talk and scuttlebutt.
So my post is pub talk lololol. You're talking about SIDI engines the op has a V8........
I'm a trained technican and my post is correct because I refered the OP to penrite technical line.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought. You all made good points. Some builders say that due to a lumpy cam, Mobil 1 doesn’t cut it for wear protection.....clearly I only want the best for my engine.
I’m looking at the Nulon 5w 30 full synthetic.
On a different note, does anyone know who does porting for my heads, blower, and blower snout in SA.

cheers
You have a roller cam higher spring pressure is a small issue basically oil is not going to be a big factor in lifter wear as the cam and roller are both hardened.
It sounds like the builder/s are dinosaurs and still build off the old pretence of flat tappet cams.