Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Rotors to buy? dba gold or slotted?

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
Hi,
I’m thinking of replacing my rotors with some aftermarket ones since they are below the minimum spec to machine again.

Has anyone used dba gold? I’ve heard mixed opinions about them, apparently they are very prone to cracking, has anyone had experience with them?

Would anyone recommend using dba gold or is it a better idea to just get the slotted version not vented/slotted?

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
i read last week in the sc mag that cross drilled rotors ( dba gold) can crack if sprayed with water when they are hot, so at the car wash they could crack. they also cannot be machined (i think)

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
hmmmm, maybe the slotted is the way to go?

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
to quote from the mag;

" often in super high performance applications, both slotting and cross drilling are used, but this combination causes a noticeable increase in pad wear, and as such is not often seen on regular driven street cars"

" the benefit of slotting is not only do they not hamper the structural intergrity of the disc, they also continuously de-glaze the pads to ensure consistent and reliable performance following extended, hard and high temp braking"

i would just go slotted mate

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Golds are a bit of overkill unless you are just after looks. I do RDA slotted for $135 a pair.

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
I do like the look of them but it sounds like there not worth the time or effort for standard street use.
Looks like ill go the slotted, thanks for your help nicko and not_an_abba_fan.

hey not_an_abba_fan what are the RDAs like, can you reccomend these or any other for quality?

harveyt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
i read last week in the sc mag that cross drilled rotors ( dba gold) can crack if sprayed with water when they are hot, so at the car wash they could crack. they also cannot be machined (i think)

I have them on mine. so far so good. K-mart can machine them.

harveyt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
I would highly recommend to have bendix ultimate brake pad or equivalent to match the dba rotor. huge difference I would say. last time I check cross drilled cost 140(discounted) a corner, slotted cost 115(discounted). RDA looks very attractive but how do they compare??

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
RDA have been around for 20 odd years, same warranty as DBA, they just don't carry the DBA price tag.

harveyt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
do RDA make cross drilled rotor? if so do you stock them? may try them next time....