Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which V6 Commodore has the best manual gearbox?

Best manual v6 gearbox?

• Total voters

VEman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore...of course
Which 6 cylinder Commodore do you reckon has the best manual gearbox in terms of balance between power and strength, also reliability? I wanna buy a manual v6 commodore, fairly cheap... something under around $10,000.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Early VS, pretty sure they still had a T5 and they are a good all round gearbox, Vs changed to a GETRAG later on in the series.

VEman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore...of course
Browsing the forums I gather that the Getrag is rubbish, and basically worthless once they become problematic.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Im hoping the T5 is a decent box as that is what i will be putting in my car soon., as said already once the getrag starts to wear out it is expensive to repair, the T5 on the other hand seems more simple and easier to get fixed.. Hence why i have gone for the earlier T5

Last edited:

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
There all pretty agricultural, all I can remember about almost every T5 I've driven is that they have a tendency to pop out of gear, Getrag's were weak!

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
None, Holden don't know how to make a manual for a V6, and I own a manual V6. The best box ever was the ZF they put in the VN group A.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
something under around $10,000.
i was looking recently and havent been able to find any vy or vz manuals under 10k
i got a vy and the gearbox goes ok... fair bit of creaking with the clutch and youll hear it changing gears lol but it doesnt grind or crunch its just a noisy gearbox
also the whine in first and second is unique... lets you think its running a very quiet supercharger lol

2004_VZ_Acclaim

Bonkers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
i was looking recently and havent been able to find any vy or vz manuals under 10k
i got a vy and the gearbox goes ok... fair bit of creaking with the clutch and youll hear it changing gears lol but it doesnt grind or crunch its just a noisy gearbox
also the whine in first and second is unique... lets you think its running a very quiet supercharger lol

2007 HOLDEN COMMODORE VY Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au

Couldn't help but sticky beak :p

Oops just re-read and edited post accordingly but there's a small few anyway :p