Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who Cooks? Hard Anodized or Stainless-Steel w/ Copper Base?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I've ended up going Jamie Oliver 'Professional Series' 30cm SS pan for $115.

Got it at David Jones, they have a big sale on at the moment. 40-50% Jamie Oliver, Anolon, ScanPan, Circulon, Gordan Ramsay, etc etc. The pan was $230 down to $115. Can't really complain... well my GF can but I cant. She was whinging the whole way... I think this will be the only good pan I'll own. Think the rest will be general Tefal gear by the sounds of it.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
sooo... she is the cleaner then?

:D

She couldn't believe I'd spend that much on a pan.
and then I told her she can't touch my pan or else :axe: I could see her dropping/scratching it. I can manage to clean 1 pan.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Buy good quality pans.

Stainless steel pans with copper bottoms are great. Easy to clean and last forever if you buy good ones. Our Raco set is over 25 years old.

Buy one or two non-stick frypans for frying and replace them when they lose their coating. Even Scanpan wear out.

If you are into cooking buy one really HUGE saucepan.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
eeek, scanpan? No thanks.

I use Nowo pots/skillet (titanium) and all clad stainless steel pans. Expensive, but I know many chefs who use this gear in their commercial kitchens. I find scanpan(plus for what you get they are way over priced) etc don't retain heat well enough for good even cooking.

That's because they're specifically designed for the magnetic convection cook tops - very popular in Europe.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Chef here, dont waste your money on the **** a $10 pan from coles will do the same job! Im also the chef who cant justify why people spend more then $100 on a knife! Your burning food??? Its all about heat control

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Chef here, dont waste your money on the **** a $10 pan from coles will do the same job! Im also the chef who cant justify why people spend more then $100 on a knife! Your burning food??? Its all about heat control

Strange huh. My brother is a chef at the Hilton and he says they use $10 pans and once they are **** they throw em and buy new ones. But my brother, and many others say to have atleast 1 good pan tho.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I have a set given to me by my grandmother. She got them in Italy when visting the relos over 30 years ago. She doesn't use them anymore so she handed them down.

Brand is Lagostina - solid stainless steel and heavy duty.

I accidently dropped a pot onto my ceramic cooktop once I thought I was going to shatter it.

My mum also got a set as a wedding present and they are still going strong.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
I had a $300 kasumi knife... sold it for $150 and bought a wiltshire from coles for $15 (copy of a expensive brand) 6 months ago for a joke and see how it can handle beeing used 40 hours a week.... It stays sharp and is one of the sharpest knifes in the restaurant...

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I had a $300 kasumi knife... sold it for $150 and bought a wiltshire from coles for $15 (copy of a expensive brand) 6 months ago for a joke and see how it can handle beeing used 40 hours a week.... It stays sharp and is one of the sharpest knifes in the restaurant...

Tru. My brother uses Shun Classic knifes. I'll prob just get some basic knives. I'm prob not the best with knives... especially sharp ones :undead: lol.