Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who on here is an engineer/ engineering student?

DTM87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Lumina S V6 (VY Commodore)
Im doing my apprenticeship as an aircraft maintenance engineering currently. Dunno if you get to class that as an actual engineer yet.. haha

Started my course in 2011, got offered a job in the middle east and moved to the UAE in 2012. Definately enjoy going to work everyday, even though I do work with some interesting people..:hmmm: but met so many good people so far.

But once im finished im not where Id like to go with it, obviously a signing engineer is the goal but still thats still a few years away.

Cheers
Dan

Sokoza

Beep Beep
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP GTS
I work for a local council doing civil design fulltime while studying a Bachelor of Engineering Technology externally. Generally 2 subjects a semester (2 semesters a year, unless u decide to do third semester over xmas). It's not too bad of a pace, but being a young fella and having a social life can take its toll on your dedication to study on weekends.

hsvvsclubsport

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS & 2014 SRT-8 Core
Im a civil engineer bro working in north WA.. Its worth the time and money if U get though the first 2yrs.. After that its all repeatative..

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
So yeah, just seeking people's opinions and experiences :)

I would seriously consider trying to get an Electrical Apprenticeship if you want to work.

I work in Construction(Mining, Oil & Gas) and I am an Electrical Superintendent, Trades based but I have an Engineering role also, in that I design some of our Systems.

I would advise anybody wanting to be an Electrical Engineer to do the trade first, here are some things to consider:

1.An Electrician can work as an Engineer to some degree, I do not need a degree to design the things I design, but I have filled this role out of my company's necessity for someone to do it, it would be hard for me however to apply for an Engineering role, as most company's would expect you to have a degree.
2.An Electrical Engineer cannot get an Electrical Licence so therefore cannot work as an Electrician.

So this now brings some other things to think about:
1.We currently have a shortage of Electricians in Australia in the mining Construction Industry.
2.We currently have an over supply of Electrical Engineers.

Think of it like this, on a big construction job you may have 400 Electricians working for a company, but you will have 1 Engineer.

The Construction Industry is paying Electricians $180000-$200000
On the same job the Engineer gets about $160000

An Electrical Forman is getting $200000-$215000
An Electrical Supervisor is getting $215000-$240000

You can always do your Degree later.

There aren't many Engineering Design Jobs available.
But your Trade will always find you work.

I think to much emphasis is put on Kids today to get a degree, parents see it as a better career choice, but is it? So many bachelor's so few jobs, mean while we are importing a work force to build things, because the Engineers aren't qualified to actually work on something.

I'm not having a go an Engineer's, I'm just giving you a perspective of the workforce at the moment, and it will only get worse unless we get more tradesman.

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Seeing/hearing some of the salaries from mates doing electrical apprenticeships is unreal. They take home more then i probably will when i'm a fully qualified chippy. Seriously considering trying to find an adult electrical apprenticeship, do I have much of a chance getting a commercial app without doing a pre-app?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I would seriously consider trying to get an Electrical Apprenticeship if you want to work.

I work in Construction(Mining, Oil & Gas) and I am an Electrical Superintendent, Trades based but I have an Engineering role also, in that I design some of our Systems.

I would advise anybody wanting to be an Electrical Engineer to do the trade first, here are some things to consider:

1.An Electrician can work as an Engineer to some degree, I do not need a degree to design the things I design, but I have filled this role out of my company's necessity for someone to do it, it would be hard for me however to apply for an Engineering role, as most company's would expect you to have a degree.
2.An Electrical Engineer cannot get an Electrical Licence so therefore cannot work as an Electrician.

So this now brings some other things to think about:
1.We currently have a shortage of Electricians in Australia in the mining Construction Industry.
2.We currently have an over supply of Electrical Engineers.

Think of it like this, on a big construction job you may have 400 Electricians working for a company, but you will have 1 Engineer.

The Construction Industry is paying Electricians $180000-$200000
On the same job the Engineer gets about $160000

An Electrical Forman is getting $200000-$215000
An Electrical Supervisor is getting $215000-$240000

You can always do your Degree later.

There aren't many Engineering Design Jobs available.
But your Trade will always find you work.

I think to much emphasis is put on Kids today to get a degree, parents see it as a better career choice, but is it? So many bachelor's so few jobs, mean while we are importing a work force to build things, because the Engineers aren't qualified to actually work on something.

I'm not having a go an Engineer's, I'm just giving you a perspective of the workforce at the moment, and it will only get worse unless we get more tradesman.

depends where you mean a shortage of workers.
at the moment down here in vic anyway its slowed right down.
and from work of mouth (having worked on some big sites with many people) mining/gas/etc work may pay well but the hours are insane

best option in my opinion.
do an apprenticeship.
get a whole heap of extras such as cert 4s, other licences and qualifications.
do an engineering degree.

right now im in this situation.
apprentice, have done 1 cert 4 (motor control). about to do another (PLCs). and still looking at more, one of those being HV terminating (but that requires you to be an a grade, operators doesnt though).
am looking into engineering. especially scine after speaking to a trade school teacher, he said many other engineers will not like you, because of having the a grade to back it up, and from previous experiences can tell them they are wrong :whistling

anyway. good bit of advice there for the masses

Seeing/hearing some of the salaries from mates doing electrical apprenticeships is unreal. They take home more then i probably will when i'm a fully qualified chippy. Seriously considering trying to find an adult electrical apprenticeship, do I have much of a chance getting a commercial app without doing a pre-app?

NECA run an apptitude test in October, best option is to sit that.
also get resumes out to every company you can. every bit helps.

you may struggle but best way is to give it a go.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride

The best way of getting an Apprenticeship with the big Electrical Construction Company's is to first get on an an Electrical T/A.
The thing is the tests they put you through to get the apprenticeship, you need good Mathematical ability.
But Its not too hard, but depends where your at in life, I started my Apprenticeship when I was 15, the maths was easy back then, I mean I had only just learned it, but if you haven't done it for a while you have to put a lot of work in to get it all back in your head.

hsvvsclubsport

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS & 2014 SRT-8 Core
Mate if I was U I would take the time to do ur degree.. I took the time to do mine and im in the biggest LNG plant in the southern hemisphere taking home 250k.. Some ppl think differently but if u know what u want u can achieve it.. Mind u I am a civil engineer..

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Can I come work at your LNG plant...

I could handle that income..

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
Can I come work at your LNG plant...

I could handle that income..

Try searching CKJV Gorgon Project.

The CBI Kentz Joint venture will be employing 4000 people over the next 12 months & the project is scheduled to last 4 years, but will be more like 6.

Seek.com if you are skilled there is heaps of construction work out there. And I mean Heaps.

Unfortunately the Government stopped subsidising Apprentice's back in the early 90's and now we have no skilled labour.
They are subsidising Apprentice's again now but not enough.