Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

who on here is good with cams???

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
hey greenfoam when you read this how hard will it be to change the tune i have now to suit one of these cams thanks mate

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
silly man! he has a supercharger where his manifold would normally be lol. id be careful with the cam advice given so far. sounds like youve been given N/A cam advice

How so? he's asking which off the shelf cam is going to to be best for his setup. Both these cams are designed for n/a applications as i dont know of many off the shelf FI cams for v8's. None of these cams are perfect perfect would be a custom grind but some people dont want to fork out what it will cost. My advice is sound on the principals of FI cams.

Eaton v8 the second is probably a little better suited to your application. Sure it a bit smaller than the first but FI should make up for that

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks pub as always you're a great help. i actually rang up told them exactly the same thing as i have told you all and said i wanted a cam to suit if its custom then so be it. this is what they sent. the one thing they did say is the 2nd one is more highway friendly

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
i just put two more in the middle of the original two

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There's really no need for a custom cam when dealing with Wade, they have something like 5000 grinds on file. You can choose from any grind anyone in the history of the company has ever had made. When choosing mine from the new catalogue I got sent I found 5, yep 5 different cams that were within 5hp right through the curve. So there's plenty to choose from :). What they reccomend might not be the most perfect for your combo but it will be sooooooo close it wont matter (ie. it will be one of the 5 close ones :) )

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Theres no harm in checking out other cam manufactures either. COME have a couple of excellent fi grind cams and also surecam has some good grinds to. Dont limit yourself.

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for that i have a day off tomorro so ill ring them up:thumbsup: i thought it would be easy but its far from it

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mate I did the tests for you, I don't think your going to do better than Keiths first choice, that 1666B12. It's a good 20hp up on a Crane 284 from 4000 rpm onwards and lost nothing to it at all down low. And alot of people think the 284 is a good boosted cam, so I'd go with the 1666B12, the other one is just as good really but a little more down low and a little less up high (few hp only). I did test quite a few other Wades against it and it was still the winner

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
your a champ foam thanks

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Only reason why i went the 284 is that its legal on emissions. There are plenty of cams to choose from.