Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

who's waiting for a 2017 plate and why?

VF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-Redline
Personally I'm holding off just because I can lol. Not in any dire need for a new car but am slowly getting sick of my "14 Sri-Z Cruze which I've had from new. I mean it's been good while I was on my Ps and fun to drive, but now with a full license I want to get the big kahuna SSVR. But I'm still tossing up between a lot of cars and really need to pull my finger out and go test drive the other cars I'm interested in (Golf R, BMW 125/140, Merc A250, Audi A3 and there's a couple of others). As for bargaining power and what not, I am able to get the Holden employee discount through a family member, so I'll have a set price anyway. Last time I went in a couple of months ago was told the price for an auto SSVR sedan was around 45k with the employee discount. So I'm still waiting to see.

Marco_VESS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF2 Redline M6
I'm hanging out for a 2017 model for the simple reason that I want a car from the final year. It's not about future value as I intend to hang on to it for a long time; it's more the sentimentality of it.

I could be convinced otherwise if there was a 2016 car in the exact spec I wanted at a price I couldn't refuse, but I'm not actively looking.

The question for me at the moment is when to go and order. If I leave it too late, I'll either miss out or be forced to pay a premium as demand starts to exceed supply. So at the moment I'm thinking of an order in Q1 or Q2 next year. I'm barely driving my VE as it is, so in a way it makes sense to move it on sooner rather than later.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
I was one of those "waiting for a MY17" so I could have "the last one". I had a car that was doing the job and wanted to delay purchase.

However, it became obvious to me that the standard SSVR was not going to change much, and was going to have little wriggle room from price negotiations. And the special editions models, were going to be even more pricey than the $65k I was already thinking was too much for a Holden.

So I folded and scooped up one of the last factory orders for a MY16 optioned the way I wanted it. I saved $8,000 off the sticker, some of that is going to go on some tasty mods, the rest on whatever car I get next.

I just couldn't justify the extra $8k (or thereabouts) on a plate that said 17 instead of 16.

For those that wait, well done. You will have the last of what I think is a great Aussie icon.

Buy now & buy later, it will be the right choice for the individual.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
I was one of those "waiting for a MY17" so I could have "the last one". I had a car that was doing the job and wanted to delay purchase.

However, it became obvious to me that the standard SSVR was not going to change much, and was going to have little wriggle room from price negotiations. And the special editions models, were going to be even more pricey than the $65k I was already thinking was too much for a Holden.

So I folded and scooped up one of the last factory orders for a MY16 optioned the way I wanted it. I saved $8,000 off the sticker, some of that is going to go on some tasty mods, the rest on whatever car I get next.

I just couldn't justify the extra $8k (or thereabouts) on a plate that said 17 instead of 16.

For those that wait, well done. You will have the last of what I think is a great Aussie icon.

Buy now & buy later, it will be the right choice for the individual.

either way, a VF2 is a VF2 so a 16 or 17 year build is still "the last one" in my eyes. anyone that buys either will be extremely happy with it (I know I am) and you can still say to people you own the very last model commodore made in Australia (well the last one that counts anyway, no body is gonna consider the 2018 Opel thing in the same class)

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
I think I will just skip the MY17 Holden and limited editions, and look at the HSV offerings a last Senator or GTS will be my choice:D will be keeping my S2 redline ute:)

JonDom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shopping right now
As I am ready to purchase in 10 days time, I'd be very tempted to just do a build to order for 2017, but it takes too long damn it! My current uni-student beast is about to **** itself and I just want to get out of it ASAP lol.

Thinking of buying the other half something half-decent and using that as my everyday driver until the build is complete, but that's a pretty expensive solution :(

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
As I am ready to purchase in 10 days time, I'd be very tempted to just do a build to order for 2017, but it takes too long damn it! My current uni-student beast is about to **** itself and I just want to get out of it ASAP lol.

Thinking of buying the other half something half-decent and using that as my everyday driver until the build is complete, but that's a pretty expensive solution :(

I just replied to your post on WP, buy I'll post here as well.

You wont be able to special order a MY16 now, orders are closed. Dealers are taking deposits (not orders!) for MY17 models but can't give you a price other then RRP.

The cheapest and quickest way into a Redline is check every individual dealer website stock list and find one ready to go now. Walk in with deposit in hand and you should still be able to get a good price.

Strueth

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Monaro
I don't really get the appeal of the blackout kit tbh, you pay extra for what appears to be unpainted parts, has anyone that has ordered the blackout kit asked for the old parts (the chrome bits and the painted mirror covers) back to keep?
Good point Stuey
My original plan was to get an MY17 SSVR 6sp ute in some like it hot red with the blackout kit and hadn't really looked into it too much, just thought that was what i would do...
But after a holiday on the sunshine coast in august where i called into a dealer just to have a look at the colour in the flesh, the salesman that i spoke to told me that i wouldn't be getting this colour next year. He also told me that manual V6 utes had finished and that they didn't know what the go was with V8 manuals next year either...
So when i got home i went to our local dealer to quiz them about what i was told, and they confirmed that the colour was a no go, but wasn't sure about the manual story i had been told.
Long story short my local dealer tracked down an MY16, and i had to make the decision, to get what i really wanted now or wait and get something next year... i didn't like the colour options for next year, so the deal was done.
Really glad i did now, i haven't seen another one around here, this colour, on the road yet, so I'm really happy about that...people that see it always comment on the colour.
Only thing i would have liked was the optional 20's (the dealer fitted the blackout kit for me) the windows have been tinted, and I've fitted a set of coil overs to get it sitting where i like it.. i love it, its a keeper!
Exact experience I had only I had paid a deposit on a Prussian steel SSVR; not due to the MY17 build plate - my wife and I really wanted that and only that colour. Then it's rumoured online the colour will be dropped, some dealers including mine stating what I'd heard about Son / Gun grey was BS. Then I did some more research and discovered the JC forum and sure as **** what a couple of guys were saying on here was 100% spot on. Dealer now confirms the above, so I said the same knowledgable people that advised me about the colours also tip a special edition next year, so dealer says, 'Yes, but to a lesser spec than a redline eg. Sticker packs and bits and pieces like the black SS editions, parts otherwise unchanged and absolutely not a higher spec redline, so just leave your order running'. I said that's hardy special and his reasoning was this was how Holden flog leftover stuff as just like the LE Monaro and Ford cobra, wack on the 'limited' badge (you could say the whole range is limited now) some go fast striping and the hype does the rest. Credibility being at an all time low with this dealer now, though he has my sizeable deposit and therefore the upper hand for the time being I guess.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good point Stuey

Exact experience I had only I had paid a deposit on a Prussian steel SSVR; not due to the MY17 build plate - my wife and I really wanted that and only that colour. Then it's rumoured online the colour will be dropped, some dealers including mine stating what I'd heard about Son / Gun grey was BS. Then I did some more research and discovered the JC forum and sure as **** what a couple of guys were saying on here was 100% spot on. Dealer now confirms the above, so I said the same knowledgable people that advised me about the colours also tip a special edition next year, so dealer says, 'Yes, but to a lesser spec than a redline eg. Sticker packs and bits and pieces like the black SS editions, parts otherwise unchanged and absolutely not a higher spec redline, so just leave your order running'. I said that's hardy special and his reasoning was this was how Holden flog leftover stuff as just like the LE Monaro and Ford cobra, wack on the 'limited' badge (you could say the whole range is limited now) some go fast striping and the hype does the rest. Credibility being at an all time low with this dealer now, though he has my sizeable deposit and therefore the upper hand for the time being I guess.

I've heard they will get heated seats (left over Chevy ss parts I guess)

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
image.jpeg
I've heard they will get heated seats (left over Chevy ss parts I guess)