Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why 5 litre coolant bottles?!

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
I see most brands have coolant designed for the Commodore series which has taken 12 litres of 50/50 for years now (at least ecotec range). So why are they are 5 litres? Do you guys just run slightly less than the recommended ratio or do you get a 1 litre "topup" bottle?

Interested to know....

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Unless you do a complete flush of the whole radiator and block (includes removing knock sensors to allow drainage from block) you probably wont get more then 5 litres of coolant in the system. Maybe 8 litres of 50/50 if ur lucky with the other 4 50/50 coming from unflushed water/coolant still in the block.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Unless you do a complete flush of the whole radiator and block (includes removing knock sensors to allow drainage from block) you probably wont get more then 5 litres of coolant in the system. Maybe 8 litres of 50/50 if ur lucky with the other 4 50/50 coming from unflushed water/coolant still in the block.

Thanks Hot-Rod.

That makes sense.

I guess as my bro's VX has dirty coolant I'll have to get that topup bottle as it'll need a full flush.

Out of interest, does anyone know how easy it is to remove the overfow tank of the S2 VX?

Thanks

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
If you want an excellent quality coolant get the repco branded premixed stuff. It has one of the highest glycol contents which is what you want. At times $25 for 5 litre concentrat, then 1 litre also cheaper. But yes, 6 litres is required. Its made by Mobil or Super Roo i think. They oils are rebottled Mobil oils.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Thanks Hot-Rod.

That makes sense.

I guess as my bro's VX has dirty coolant I'll have to get that topup bottle as it'll need a full flush.

Out of interest, does anyone know how easy it is to remove the overfow tank of the S2 VX?

Thanks

Yes, its all gotta be done from the bottom, few bolts around the bottle and loosen the over flow hose from the radiator filler neck. Be carefull as coolant is very very toxic. Even if you dont get much, its residual build up is just as bad, and stuffs your kidneys etc. A lot of it kills you quick, like a few sips. I dont think they can stop it.......

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hmmmm note to self, stop drinking coolant. :whistling

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
If you want an excellent quality coolant get the repco branded premixed stuff. It has one of the highest glycol contents which is what you want. At times $25 for 5 litre concentrat, then 1 litre also cheaper. But yes, 6 litres is required. Its made by Mobil or Super Roo i think. They oils are rebottled Mobil oils.

Thanks VX, I'll check it out.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hmmmm note to self, stop drinking coolant. :whistling

Theres a famous case i think in the U.S where the wife/mother poisoned the dad/husband by adding the coolant to his drink etc. Its sweet, you cannot pick it, the reason why animals lick it up. The world glycol will indicate some sweetness. I dont know why they dont add bittering agent like they do to rat poison. If you wanna go safer use Propylene glycol its less toxic, not non toxic. So not as bad. you will also see this stuff in face creams, cosmetics etc.